Cranberry Orange Baked Oatmeal: a crowd pleasing, make ahead breakfast that’s perfect for any cold winter morning
I hope that you’re not too sick of seeing cranberry orange everything just yet because I’ve got this cranberry orange baked oatmeal that I’m dying to share with you today.
But before that, how’s your week been? Christmas is only a few days away now – are you ready? Menu’s planned, gifts wrapped, arrangements made?
I thought I was done with everything last week, but no such luck. I really should go do a bit of last minute shopping today but I can’t bring myself to go out in the rain again. I’d much rather stay inside warming my hands with hot mugs and talking about food.
So here I am.
I come from a family who likes their food. We like making it, we like eating it, we like watching TV shows about other people making and eating it.
While every major holiday dinner menu was meticulously planned and prepared, breakfasts… Not so much. My mom would usually throw together some sort of breakfast casserole and pop it in the oven. Easy prep + easy cook = more time to sit down with a cup of coffee and enjoy the morning. Coffee first, work later. Always.
While I never get tired of eggs for breakfast, I look forward to those special occasions that call for a more colorful breakfast. Nothing beats waking up to the smell of spices emanating from a warm kitchen.
Really though, there’s no reason not to enjoy a breakfast this good any day of the year – especially when it’s this easy to throw together.
This baked oatmeal is easy to make and can be easily prepared the night before. Just cover your dish and place it in the fridge over night. Serve with additional syrup and a cup of coffee and enjoy the rest of your morning!
Cranberry Orange Baked Oatmeal: a crowd pleasing, make ahead breakfast that's perfect for any cold winter morning
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 cups certified gluten free rolled oats (200 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- zest of half an orange
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (109 grams)*
- 2 cups milk of your choice (275 ml)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries (80 grams)
- 1/3 cup walnuts (44 grams)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest of half an orange
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C and grease the sides and bottom of a 8 x 11 or 20cm x 27cm baking dish. Set aside until later.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl mix the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt until combined.
- In another bowl add the milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and orange zest and whisk until combined. Add the oat mixture into the milk mixture and combine. Pour the oats into the greased baking dish.
- To make the cranberry crumble topping add the cranberries, walnuts, maple syrup, cinnamon, orange juice, and orange zest to a blender or food processor and pulse until your get a course, crumbly mixture. Scoop out the crumble and evenly scatter it the top of the oats.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes until the oats have set.
* You can substitute another sweetener of your choice here
Adapted from Epicurious Baked Oatmeal