Super easy gluten free flatbread – made with only six ingredients! Grain Free + Vegan
I didn’t wake up the other day planning on coming up with a gluten free flatbread.
I think I had planned on making some more sweet potato breakfast cookies (recipe coming soon!). But then of course one thing led to another and I ended having an impromptu picnic with the husband and a wander round a few local walking spots which resulted in us picking 3 1/2 pounds of wild blackberries.
Not bad for what was supposed to a pretty average Tuesday.
When trying to brainstorm all the different ways we could use up our new haul I remembered a blackberry & ricotta pizza I had made a few years ago from The Food Charlatan. I had made it the last time we were loaded up with wild blackberries and it was soooo good!
Which brings me back to these flatbread! Instead of making a full pizza I thought I’d go for a lighter/easier base that could be whipped up in no time. Realising that I don’t actually have a flatbread recipe on here yet – I got to work.
How to Make: Gluten Free Flatbread
Like a said earlier – this recipe is super simple and made up only six ingredients:
Chickpea Flour (also known as gram flour or garbanzo flour)
Milk (I use dairy free, but you can use a dairy based milk if you prefer)
To spruce these up feel free to add a few extra herbs & spices (think garlic, oregano, thyme, etc).
The framework for the recipe is based on my three ingredient tortillas I shared a while back which uses a combo of chickpea flour & tapioca flour.
To make – just mix together your dry ingredients, add in the wet and stir until a sticky dough forms. The dough should divide up easily into four equal pieces that you then roll out and dry fry on the stove for a few minutes on each side.
Easy as that!
This recipe would be a great side to your favourite curry or perfect for your next pizza night. I myself have a date with these flatbreads and a bowl of fresh blackberries.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Gluten Free Flatbread recipe! I’d love to see what you make with it! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 cup | 110 grams chickpea flour
- 1 cup | 100 grams tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoons | 130 ml warmed milk of your choice (almond, coconut, rice, dairy etc)
- 2 tablespoons | 30 ml olive oil
Optional Add Ins
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried spices (oregano/thyme/basil/ etc)
- Whisk together the chickpea flour, tapioca flour, baking powder and sea salt until combined.
- Stir in the olive oil and warmed milk until combined. Your mixture should be a thick, sticky ball of dough but come together in the end. If the dough feels too dry add a little more olive oil.
- Divide up the dough into 4 equal balls. Once at a time roll the dough balls out on a lightly floured surface until flat and even and about 6 inches wide in diameter.
- After rolling the dough out warm a medium non stick pan on a low heat. If you don't have a non stick pan lightly grease you pan and lay out the rolled dough. Let cook for about 3-4 minutes or until lightly golden on one side, then flip over and cook the other side. Repeat this process with the remaining dough until complete.
If the dough feels too dry add another 1-2 tablespoons of milk (one at a time) until it's sticky, but easy to roll out. Chickpea flour can be a bit tricky to work with when making dough like things so just keep that in mind when making these.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Saturated Fat: 1gSodium: 351mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g