Vegan & gluten free biscuits packed with herbs & spices – only nine ingredients + easy to make!
But not just any biscuits – vegan + gluten free biscuits packed with fresh herbs.
✔️ Crisp on the outside
✔️ Fluffy on the inside
✔️ Soft and savoury centre
Let’s do it!
How to Make: Herby Vegan Gluten Free Biscuits
These biscuits are actually based on the recipe for my gluten free vegan blueberry scones. Those scones have been getting a lot of love in the past few months so I decided to play around with the recipe a little lore to see what else could be done with them.
These biscuits are pretty simple to make – start out by mixing together your dry ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Cut in your coconut oil – it should be soft, but not melted. Mix it in until you’ve got a powdery, sandy dough and then mix in your coconut milk.
I recommend popping the dough in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before baking so that the coconut oil has time to firm up before going in the oven – this is especially important if you live in a warm place where coconut oil melts quickly.
Feel free to mix and match the herbs in this recipe depending on what you like/have on hand. Throw in some garlic powder, add in some vegan parmesan – it’s a pretty flexible recipe so play around with it to make it your own.
These would go well alongside a bowl of veggie chili or fresh, hot soup. They’re also a great Thanksgiving and Christmas side – personally I’m looking forward to loading these up with all the holiday leftovers – piling on the gravy, stuffing – everything!
Don’t forget to tag @asaucykitchen if you try these Gluten Free Biscuits! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 3/4 cup | 245g your favourite gluten free all purpose flour blend
- 1 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (leave out if your gluten free flour blend already contains xanthan)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon freshly choppd rosemary
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional (for an added cheesy flavour)
- 1/4 cup | 55 g coconut oil, creamy and somewhat solid - not melted or in a liquid state
- 1 cup | 225 g coconut milk, full fat & from a can
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and herbs (and nutritional yeast if using) together in a large mixing bowl and combine.
- Add the coconut oil to the flour and use a fork to mix into the flour. Mix until the coconut oil is well combined. Your mixture should be powdery & dry.
- Add the coconut milk to the bowl and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Place the dough in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Don't skip this step - the coconut oil needs to harden up so the biscuits don't spread too much while baking.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. When you're ready to bake take the dough out of the fridge. Scoop out heaping tablespoons of the dough and drop them on to your baking pan. Leave at least 2 inches in between each dough ball so they have room to grow. Bake for 20-22 minutes until the biscuits have risen and are lightly golden in colour.
- These best enjoyed fresh/warm. Heat these up in the microwave or the oven before serving if you plan on making these in advance.
Prep time includes chilling
I don't recommend trying to shape these biscuits - they don't come out as soft/fluffy when you try to form them.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Saturated Fat: 7gSodium: 60mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gProtein: 2g