Jackfruit BBQ Pizza with a Sweet Potato Crust – Shredded jackfruit mixed in a homemade BBQ sauce along with sliced red onions and cilantro | Paleo + Vegan + Nut Free
If you’re looking for a little something to spruce up your next pizza night, may I present to you this Jackfruit BBQ Pizza as an option?
It’s got mashed up jackfruit drenched in a sweet and spicy homemade BBQ sauce spread over a thin and crispy sweet potato crust and topped with slice red onions and fresh cilantro.
Let’s do it!
How to Make: Jackfruit BBQ Pizza
Don’t be intimidated by the lengthy ingredient list below – while it might look like there’s a lot going on here it’s actually a pretty easy/straight forward process. Breaking it down into bite sized parts:
- Make the Sweet Potato Crust – All it takes is 7 ingredients and about 30 minutes.
- Make the BBQ sauce – It’s really just a matter of throwing everything in a pan and letting cook for a few.
- Wash and mash up your jackfruit before mixing it into the BBQ sauce – This should take no more than one minute to do.
- Top your pizza with all that saucy jackfruit goodness.
- Bake and eat!
As always, feel free to play around with this recipe to make it your own! Use your own pizza crust or your favourite BBQ sauce in place of what’s listed here. You can also mix and match toppings if you’re feeling adventurous. Just keep in mind that this crust doesn’t do well with toppings that are too heavy or too saucy or else you might need to eat this with a knife and fork. Still delicious, but not exactly what most people have in mind for pizza night, ya know?
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Jackfruit BBQ Pizza! I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 sweet potato pizza crust
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce/passata, *see notes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle paste, optional
- 1 cup jackfruit from a can in water
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- fresh cilantro, for topping
- Prep the sweet potato crust.
BBQ Sauce & Jackfruit.
- Add everything to a small or medium sauce pot and whisk together over a medium low heat. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Measure
- Drain and rinse jackfruit and then start breaking up the chunks into small pieces. You can use a fork or potato masher here to mash it all up but I find it easier to pull apart larger chunks with my fingers.
- Stir in the broken up jackfruit into the remaining BBQ sauce and cook on a low heat for a few minutes.
- Top pizza with jackfruit in BBQ sauce and sliced red onions. Bake at 400°F/205°C for 10 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve!
Passata is something that's pretty readily available here in the UK but it's not something I remember seeing much in the States. It's basically just pureed, peeled tomatoes. If you can't find it easily you can use tomato sauce in place or blend up crushed tomatoes until smooth.
Feel free to use your favourite crust or BBQ sauce here instead!
Serving Size:slice out of 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146 Saturated Fat: 1g Sodium: 589mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 2g