7 ingredient Sweet Potato Pizza Crust made with coconut & tapioca flour – paleo, vegan & nut free!
I don’t know about you but I for one am psyched to be living in a world in which we can turn vegetables in pizza bases. I mean, personally, I’m a huge fan of anything that can be used as a vehicle for moving cheese into my mouth.
Today’s delicious cheese vehicle: this paleo + vegan Sweet Potato Pizza Crust.
Let’s get to it!
How to Make: Sweet Potato Pizza Crust
The recipe for this crust is not too unlike the dough made in my grain free pizza rolls and sweet potato crackers. The main difference here is the use of coconut flour instead of almonds/almond flour for a nut free alternative. The result is a dough/base that’s more soft and crunchy which really is ideal when we’re talking about pizzas.
This seven ingredient crust is easy to make and comes together in no time at all. All you need is a medium/large mixing bowl and a fork to mash and mix. Once you’ve got your sweet potatoes prepped (instructions on how to do that below) it’s really just a matter of mixing it all together until a soft dough forms.
Prepping your sweet potatoes
In order to get your sweet potatoes prepped and ready to go there are a couple ways to go about it:
Microwave: Poke a sweet potato all over with a fork and then microwave for about 4-5 minutes until soft and tender. Large sweet potatoes will need more time than small potatoes. Once microwaved, let cool for about 10 minutes before handling and the slice the potato down the middle and scoop out the insides. The peel should easily come off at this point. Then just use a fork or potato masher to mash until smooth.
Oven: Poke a sweet potato all over with a fork and then bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes at 400°F/205°C. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before handling. Slice down the centre of the potato and scoop out the insides. Use a fork or potato masher and mash until smooth.
And then add your toppings for this ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Recipe for this Paleo + Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Pizza coming up later this week!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Sweet Potato Pizza Crust. I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
This post contains affiliate links. I only post links for products I personally use and believe in. If you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of my links, I receive a small commission and the price you pay is not affected. Thank you!
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 2 tablespoons cold water mixed together
- 2/3 cup | 160 grams grams mashed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup | 28 grams coconut flour
- 1/2 cup | 55 grams tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons | 30 ml olive oil
- Combine 1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 2 tablespoons cold water. Whisk until combined and place in the fridge for at least 5 minutes while you prep the cookies. When the 'egg' has thickened and gelled up it's ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- In a large mixing bowl add the mashed sweet potato, nutritional yeast, coconut flour, tapioca flour and salt until the dough forms a dry, crumbly mixture. Stir in the olive oil.
- Add the gelled up flax egg to the mixture and stir until combined. The dough will begin to clump together.
- Rip out a large section of wax paper to roll your dough on. Roll the dough balls out on the floured surface until flat and even and about 12 inches wide in diameter. If the dough is sticking to the rolling pin sprinkle a little bit of tapioca flour across the top.
- Transfer the rolled out the dough to large baking sheet or pizza stone. Place in the oven and bake 20 minutes. After 20 minutes take it out of the oven and flip over the crust and bake with the underside facing up another 10 minutes to crisp up the top as well
- Top with your pizza toppings of choice and then pop back in the oven to cook the toppings/melt any cheeses you might have.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you want to add a lot saucy ingredients here I recommend letting the pizza crust cool down completely before adding any toppings or else you might need to pull out a knife and fork to help you eat here.
Serving Size:slice out of 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Saturated Fat: 1gSodium: 219mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g