A simple, Greek inspired Spinach Feta Pie made with an almond flour crust – both the filling and crust are easy to make, made with only 6 ingredients altogether. You can serve this pie as a main meal or enjoy the leftovers for breakfast or brunch at a later time. | Gluten Free + Grain Free + Low Carb
✔️Low carb thanks to the almond flour crust
✔️Easy to make with only 6 ingredients total
✔️Prepped and ready to be enjoyed in under an hour
✔️More delicious after every bites!
So let’s get to it!
The crust here is based off of my original Almond Flour Pie Crust. Though the original recipe does include egg and dairy free options we’re just going to use butter and eggs in the crust since the filling is essentially made up of dairy and eggs as well.
Making the dough is dead easy. Simply whisk together the flour and salt before stirring in some melted butter. Once the butter has been incorporated add the egg and mix until a soft dough forms. You should be able press the dough together to form a ball.
When you’re ready, transfer the dough to a grease pie or tart pan. I recommend using a tart/pie plate with a loose bottom. This will make it easy for you to remove and slice the pie later without worrying about the crust breaking.
Press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan and that’s it. Set the crust aside while you prep the filling as you will bake everything at once.
Moving on to the filling – this is even easier to prep as it’s made up of only three ingredients: eggs, spinach and feta.
Start out by wilting the spinach. Just load up a large, non stick skillet with your spinach, cover and let wilt on a medium-low heat. It should only take a minute or two for your spinach mountain to reduce down to the size of a fist.
While the spinach is doing its thing, move on to the eggs and feta. Quickly whisk together your eggs before mixing in the crumbled feta. Not much to it. Once you’re ready, stir in the wilted spinach to combine and then pour into the prepared almond flour crust. Spread the filling evenly over to crust and then pop your pie in the oven for about 30 minutes to bake and set.
When the filling no longer jiggles and the top of the pie and crust have turned gold you’re done. Remove the pie from the oven and let cool about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
And that’s it!
If you’re feeling adventurous I encourage you to play around with the filling. I really love this recipe as is and don’t think it needs much, but there are so many ways you can make it your own. Try adding mushrooms, fresh dill, garlic, sautéed onion – whatever! I like throwing in chopped up sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts when I have them in. If you do change it up a bit – let me know how it goes!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Mediterranean Shrimp Stew! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour (240 g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp (42 g) melted butter
- 1 egg
- 3 eggs
- 7 oz (200 g) feta, crumbled
- 10 oz fresh or frozen spinach
Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Lightly grease a 9 inch loose bottom pie/tart pan. Set it aside.
1. Add the spinach to large non stick skillet over a medium heat. Cover and let the spinach wilt, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool a few minutes.
2. Whisk the eggs in a medium sized bowl. Stir in the crumbled feta
3. Mix the spinach into the egg-feta mixture.
4. Pour the filling over the crust - spread so it bakes evenly. Place in the oven and bake for 30-32 minutes. Check the pie after 20 minutes. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the top with foil.
5. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes and then slice and serve.
- Use frozen spinach instead of fresh: Defrost the spinach and squeeze out the excess water before mixing it into the feta + egg mixture.
- Freeze for later: Leftovers can be wrapped up tightly and frozen for up to 3 months. If you want to freeze the whole pie to enjoy at a later time, bake the pie first and let it cool completely before wrapping it up tightly. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight before heating it up again.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 482mgCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 3gFiber: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g