Spiralized butternut squash with chopped up kale in a goats cheese quiche with a flaky gluten free crust
Is it just me, or does the week between Christmas and New Years make you feel as if you’re in weird limbo? I’m stuck between wanting to laze around the house eating all my Christmas chocolate and watching films on tv and feeling inspired to eat healthy and start the New Year on a productive foot.
At least I got a new fitbit for Christmas so I can at least eat my candy, watch my shows, and know that I’m still getting a little fitness in…right? You know. In between walks to the fridge and what not?
I feel like quiche is the food equivalent for this time of year. Is it a breakfast food that passes for dinner, or is it a dinner that passes for breakfast? Either way it’s got a perfectly flaky gluten free crust that will win anyone over.
Not only that, but this squash, kale & goats cheese quiche strikes that balance between healthy and indulgent. Loads of garlicky butternut squash noodles gently sautéed and packed in with a handful or two of well chopped kale to fulfill our veggie requirement. So we’ve got loads of veggies packed into a buttery pie crust and topped with crumbled up goats cheese for good measure. See? Healthy & indulgent.
Recipe Tips: Butternut Squash Kale & Goats Cheese Quiche
Out of all of the gluten free pie crusts I’ve made over the years, this one if by far my favorite one. For one thing, it’s super easy to make requiring only five ingredients. That’s including water & salt so it’s more like three ingredients. I also feel like making gluten free pie crusts are much more lower maintenance than regular crusts since you don’t have to worry about over working the gluten in the dough. Just make sure that you’re working with cold butter and ice water when making your dough and you’ll be golden.
Don’t own a spiralizer but still want to make this? I’ve noticed that a lot more grocery stores are starting to sell small packs of spiralized veggies so there’s a decent chance you may be able to pick one up.
As is the case with kale typically, chop it up into small bite sized pieces. It distributes throughout the quiche more evenly and it’s much easier to chew.
And that’s it! Healthy-ish comfort food loaded cheese & veggies. The best kind.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you make this squash kale & goats cheese quiche. We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!
This post contains affiliate links. I only post links for products I personally use and believe in. If you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of my links, I receive a small commission and the price you pay is not affected. Thank you!
- 2 cups | 280 grams gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup | 110 grams cold unsalted, butter
- 1 egg, beat in a small cup before adding to the dough, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup | 60 ml ice cold water
- 1 egg + a splash of water for the egg wash
- 1 tablespoon | 15 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 1/2 of a small butternut squash, about 300 grams spiralized
- 1 cup or one handful chopped kale
- 5 oz | 150 grams goats cheese, crumbled up
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup | 240 ml heavy cream or double cream
- 1/4 teaspoons salt and pepper, each
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the flour and salt. Cut the cold butter into small cubes and mix it into the flour until you achieve a course, crumbly mixture. Add the egg and the ice cold water until the dough comes together. If your dough is still too dry to form a ball after adding the water add another 1-2 tablespoons until only slightly sticky. Press the dough together and form a ball to roll out.
- Place the dough between two lightly floured sheets of parchment paper and roll out enough to fit a 10 inch pie pie plate.
- Carefully transfer the rolled out dough to the pie plate. Slip one hand under the bottom layer of parchment paper to gently flip the dough over into the pan. Peel back the paper and sooth over any cracks or breaking points in the dough. Crimp the edges of the dough as you like and use a fork to poke a few holes across the bottom of the dough.
- Brush the egg wash mixture over the crust and prebake in the oven 8-10 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside until you're ready to add your filling.Reduce the oven temperature to 375°/190°C
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add the spiralized squash. Stir fry the squash for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened. Add the squash to the pie crust and scatter half of the goats cheese over the squash.
- In a mixing bowl or jug whisk together the eggs, cream, salt & pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the squash making sure not to overfill the pie crust. Scatter the kale across the top followed by the remaining goats cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden and the filling is set. Let cool for 15 minutes and serve
To prevent your crust from shrinking slightly during the prebake, place a small sheet of baking paper over the top of the crust and add dry beans or pie plates to weigh down the sides.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 443Saturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 222mgSodium: 355mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g