Sweet and simple Apple Margaritas with a star anise spiced simple syrup – the perfect cocktail to make yourself this fall!
Usually when it comes to margaritas I prefer going the ‘skinny; route. Just pass me an ice filled glass of tequila, triple sec or cointreau and a ton of lime juice and I’m all set.
That being said, I’ll happily make an exception for these apple margaritas and its star anise simple syrup. The sweet and spiced combo with fresh citrus burst is everything I you out of a holiday cocktail.
How to Make: Star Anise Spiced Apple Margaritas
Like most margaritas these are pretty simple to make. The most time consuming part will be making the star anise spiced simple syrup. Simply mix together 1 part water with 1 part honey (or agave if you’d like to make it vegan) and throw in a piece of star anise. After a few minutes you’ll be all set with a thick and sweet spiced syrup with a liquorice twist that pairs beautifully with apple.
If you’re not too fond of the taste of liquorice you can change this up by swapping out the star anise for a piece of cinnamon stick. Still delicious and still seasonal so a win no matter what!
Once you’ve got your simple syrup ready to go it’s really just a matter of mixing it all together in a cocktail shaker full of ice. Instead of the usual lime + salt glass coating these apple margaritas are served with a cinnamon sugar coated rim.
Now that we’re past Halloween and on the fast track to all things holiday related I have a feeling these apple margaritas may be making an appearance a little more often to see me through….I’m not mad about that one little bit!
Don’t forget to tag @asaucykitchen if you try these Spiced Apple Margaritas! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
Star Anise Simple Syrup
- 1/4 cup | 60 ml water
- 1/4 cup | 60 ml honey (use agave to make it vegan)
- 1 whole star anise
Apple Margarita (for one cocktail)
- 2 oz Tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- 1 1/2 - 2 oz unsweetened apple juice
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon star anise simple syrup
Cinnamon Sugar Rim
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar (I used coconut sugar but you can use what you like)
Star Anise Simple Syrup
- Add the water, honey (or agave) and star anise to a small sauce pan. Warm over a medium heat until the honey has dissolved into the water and the consistency is more syrup-like. This should take 5-7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside
- On a small plate mix together and spread out your cinnamon and sugar. Run a lemon slice over the brim of your glass(es) and then dip the rims down in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the tequila, cointreau, apple juice, lemon juice and syrup. Place the lid on and shake well to mix.
- Pour into your prepared glasses and enjoy. Add a few apple slices with garnish and enjoy!
If you're not crazy about the taste of liquorice but you still want to try these you can replace the star anise with cinnamon stick in the simple syrup for a more intense cinnamon flavour.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 271 Sodium: 16mg Carbohydrates: 23g Sugar: 20g
If you like boozy beverages you might also like…