Sweet & tart Cranberry Apple Crumble topped with an oat & hazelnut topping. Gluten free + Dairy Free + Vegan
Yeah so Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK and I’m just sitting here now trying to figure out how we’re already halfway through November 2016.
This month in particular has really gotten away from me. I’ve been trying my best to just keep my head down and get as much work done as I possibly can. Mike & I will be heading back to Arizona in a couple of days to spend Thanksgiving with my family. I wanted to make sure that I wouldn’t be stressing about getting posts done while meeting up with old friends so I’ve been in such a frenzy trying to get everything done in time. Between that and all the election coverage that has been going on these past few weeks have passed by in one political cranberry orange flavored blur. Craziness!
We’re almost to the other side now – of Thanksgiving that is. It’s been one crazy mess of a year so far and now I’m ready to sit back, spend time with family and catch up with old friends over coffee. And crumble! Cranberry apple crumble!
Cranberry Apple Crumble
Have you got your Thanksgiving menu planned yet? If not than I’d highly recommend you shoot for crumble. I mean, pies are always a good idea, but after an entire day of cooking and cleaning you might not want something quite so high maintenance. Crumbles are everything but high maintenance while still being an impressive dessert that everyone loves.
Plus, crispy crumble toppings are better than most things in life. Whenever I make crumble myself I always try to make a little extra crumble because I know I’m going to be pinching a bit off the top every time I walk by. I just can’t help it! It’s never a good feeling when I realize my drive-by crumble snacking has become too obvious and there are large gaps of topping missing in a few places. Whoops!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you make this cranberry apple crumble. I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!
- 4 large bramley or granny smith apples peeled and diced
- 2 cups | 180 grams fresh cranberries
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup | 115 grams freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup | 90 grams certified gluten free rolled oats oats
- 1 cup | 90 grams certified gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 cup | 35 grams chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup | 60 grams melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup | 65 grams maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large sauce pan add everything needed for the cranberry apple base. Set over a medium heat and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes. After the fruit has softened and broken down, spread the mixture over the bottom of your prepared baking dish and set aside to make the crumble topping.
- Place the rolled oats, oat flour, hazelnuts, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Mix together. Stir in the melted coconut oil and the maple syrup until you have a crumbly, but combined mixture.
- Spread the oat mixture over the fruit and cover them evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the topping is browning slightly. Let stand for 10-15 minutes to cool before serving.