Easy baked cinnamon apples – only seven ingredients needed with minimal prep! Serve over pancakes, oatmeal or enjoy as is with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Gluten Free + Paleo + Vegan
What’s your favourite fall flavour?
As much as I do love my pumpkin spiced everything I gotta say I’m all about apple season. My in-laws have a couple of apple trees in their garden which mean we load up with literal buckets full of apples all season long….and then some.
With all the apples we go through we have to get pretty creative coming up with new ways to enjoy them in pancakes, crumbles, flatbreads , hummus’s…etc. And then every now and then it’s best just stripping back and going for the more simple approach like with this baked cinnamon apples.
Let’s do it!
First things first though:
What are the best baking apples?
The best baking apples are ones that will keep its structure while baking. Something like a Red Delicious might be good for general eating, but it would just fall apart during the cook.
Granny Smith apples are always a good go to. They’re crisp, tart and stay tender after baking. In general green apples, or apples with green flecks are great options (think jonagold, braeburn, and golden delicious). Honey crisp and pink lady’s will also work! You can use one type of apple of a mix of a few – whatever you like!
How to Make: Baked Cinnamon Apples
Altogether this recipe is super simple to make with only 7 ingredients and minimal prep needed. One of those ingredients is water so I feel like that shouldn’t even count!
The main prep here comes from peeling and slicing you apples. A little tedious probably, but once you’ve done that it’s all smooth sailing going forward. Just add your apples to a large baking dish along with the remaining ingredients and toss to combine and bake!
I do include a couple of optional spices to throw in the mix (ginger and nutmeg). While they do compliment the apple flavours you can never go wrong with the classic cinnamon-apple combination.
These baked cinnamon apples are delicious to enjoy on their own as a healthy snack or dessert, but they’re also work as great addition to oatmeal bowls, pancakes, waffles etc. I also recommend serving these up with bowl of vanilla ice cream for real good time!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Baked Cinnamon Apples! We love to see what you make with it! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!
- 2 pounds tart apples , peeled and thinly slices
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil , melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger and nutmeg, each (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch , optional
- Preheat oven the 350°F/176°C. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Add the sliced apples to the greased baking dish along with the remaining ingredients. Toss to evenly combine. Coat all of the apples in the spices, sugar, lemon juice and starch.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the apples are tender and caramelised.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 5-10 minutes. Serve over pancakes, oatmeal or enjoy as is with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Feel free to use whatever sweetener or starch you'd like in place of what is listed here. You can also use butter (vegan if needed) instead of the coconut oil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125 Saturated Fat: 2g Sodium: 14mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 19g