20 minute Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps – makes for a quick, low carb healthy lunch or dinner | Gluten Free + Dairy Free + Soy Free Paleo Option
Hello, Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps – my new favourite lunch!
…at least until my next favourite lunch comes along…
The stomach wants what the stomach wants, ya know? And right now the stomach most definitely wants some more of this spicy, sticky teriyaki chicken wrapped up in crunchy green lettuces cups and sprinkled with salted peanuts.
A couple things to note about the recipe before you begin:
Choosing Your Lettuce: Ultimately you can choose what you like to use as your lettuce wraps, but I recommend option for a sturdy leaf -nothing too flimsy. Iceberg lettuce is always a popular option, but I usually prefer something like romain, gem or butter lettuce because you can fold/roll it without breaking. I also like doubling up on the lettuce for a way to pack in more veg & less spillage.
Paleo Option: If you’re in need of a soy free/paleo version use coconut aminos in place of the soy sauce/tamari. You can buy it at most Sprouts, Wholefoods, and many health food supermarkets. A reader told me a few months back that you can also buy it at Walmart now – I’m jealous! I’ve only ever seen it in store in one shop here in the UK and I think that store is now closed. You can also buy it on Amazon like I normally do if accessibility is an issue. If you do use coconut aminos just make sure to add salt to your sauce because it contains way less sodium that soy sauce. Notes on how to do that are in the recipe.
If you want to make these ahead of time for lunches later in the day/week then make sure you pack the lettuce and the chicken/sauce separately. Assemble right before eating so that the lettuce doesn’t wilt.
All in all these lettuce wraps are super easy to make and take next to no time to throw together – another reason I’ve been eating these all week.
Hope you enjoy!
Look here for more low carb lettuce wrap recipes:
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps! I love seeing what you make with! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 red chilli deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp | 3 cloves cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp freshly ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup | 60 ml coconut aminos for soy free version or gluten free tamari/soy sauce, (if using tamari or soy only use 2 tablespoons)
- 3 tbsp salted peanuts or cashews for paleo version, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots peeled into thin strips
- 1 head lettuce washed and leaves separated, butter lettuce, gem lettuce or your choice
- sesame seeds
- green onion sliced
- Add the coconut oil to a pan or skillet and warm on a medium high heat. When the oil is melted and hot add the chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside for a few minutes as you make the sauce
- Add the chilli, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the honey and coconut aminos (or soy sauce ). Stir well and bring the sauce to a boil then reduce the heat down to medium-low or until it's only simmering. Let cook about 5 more minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning. The sauce should reduce down and turn into a thick glaze. Add the chicken back to the pan and toss. Cook for another minute with the chicken in the sauce then remove from the heat.
- Add a few spoonfuls of the chicken mixture into each lettuce cup and top with shredded carrot, green onions, sesame seeds and peanuts/cashews and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 539mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 18g