Easy Chicken Fajitas Lettuce Wraps | sautéed onions & peppers, seasoned chicken and topped with diced avocados | Low Carb, Whole 30, Paleo
Fact: Lettuce tastes 1000% better when it’s used as a vehicle for wrapping food.
Coming from a person who enjoys salad an obnoxious amount (ask my husband) I don’t even think lettuce is all that great in salads. It’s just kind of there surrounded by all of the other things that make up a decent salad. It’s like crunchy water. But once you start using that crunchy water as more of a healthy taco shell, well then now we’re onto something.
Maybe it’s the contrast between the cool, crisp lettuce against the bolder flavors within the wraps. Or maybe they’re so good because lettuce wraps = finger foods and the laws of nature dictate that finger foods are always good. Whatever the reason – I’m into.
First thing on the menu: these chicken fajitas lettuce wraps. You in?
a healthier take on chicken fajitas
Ok so more traditional chicken usually is made up of spiced meat, chopped veggies, and cheese wrapped in a soft tortilla with soured cream. I just wanted to make a few healthier adaptions to one of my favorite foods because that’s what we do here. Plus, summer time is all about fast and easy meals that are more on the healthy side. We have to make up for all the s’mores and ice cream after all.
These lettuce wraps are easy to toss together and are ready in 20 minutes or less. All you need are about 5 minutes to sauté the onions and peppers and about 7-10 minutes to cook the chicken. The rest of your time will be spent for prepping and assembling which takes no time at all.
Feel free to add shredded cheese and soured cream to your fajitas, but don’t forget the diced avocados. Avocados are always a must.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these chicken fajitas lettuce wraps! I’d love to see what you make with it! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
Chicken + Fajita Seasoning
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Peppers + Onions
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced,
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 red chili, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of salt
- oil for sautéing
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 2 avocados, diced
- small handful of cilantro chopped
- Add the fajita spices and 1 tablespoon of olive to a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the sliced chicken and toss in the spices to coat. Set the chicken aside to marinate while you sauté the onions and peppers.
- Place an oiled 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot add the sliced onion, peppers, chili powder, and salt. Sauté the onion and peppers for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are softened.
- Remove the onion & peppers from the pan onto a plate and set aside.
- Add the chicken to skillet you were just using. Add more oil if you need it. Sauté the chicken for about 5 -7 minutes or until cooked through. Add the onions & peppers back to the skillet. Squeeze the lime juice over the chicken and sprinkle the cilantro across the top.
- Cook everything for another minute before removing from the heat.
- Assemble the wraps by carefully spooning the fajitas mixture onto each lettuce leaf, top them with diced avocados and extra cilantro & serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 319mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g
More Low Carb Lettuce Wraps: