Shredded Brussels sprouts and chopped cabbage salad topped with crispy bits of bacon and chopped pecans | Gluten Free + Whole30 + Low Carb
Bacon Brussels & Cabbage Salad!
This is one of those foods that always makes me feel a bit chuffed that I actually choose to not only eat, but I go out of my way to shop for and make to eat. Am I adulting yet?
My 10 year old self would have taken one look at this salad and noped her way right along. Brussels sprouts AND cabbage? On purpose?? No cheese???
I’m so glad my adult self has seen the light when it comes to things like brussels sprouts and cabbage. When chopped up into tiny little pieces and tossed in a light mustard vinaigrette what’s not to love? And let’s not forget the crispy bits of bacon and crunchy chopped pecans thrown into the mix.
This salad is my ode to all things crispy, crunchy, and salty. *Drools*
How to Make: Bacon Brussels & Cabbage Salad
This salad it super easy to make requiring about 20 minutes and only 8 ingredients.
The most difficult part here will be prepping your cabbage and Brussels sprouts – lots of chopping involved. If you have a food processor then this would be the perfect time to whip it out and make use of the veggie shredding attachment. Otherwise just put on your best cooking song or podcast and go to town on those sprouts!
Once your veggies are ready to go it’s time to fire up the stove top and cook the bacon. Cook until crisp before removing it from the pan to chop into bite sized pieces. With the left over bacon grease still in your skillet, lightly fry your garlic until fragrant before adding your remaining ingredients to the pan. Add the sprouts, cabbage, mustard, oil, bacon, and pecans.
The end result is a salad that’s equal parts salty + crunchy + insanely delicious.
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Bacon Brussels & Cabbage Salad ! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page – those are always fun to see!
Bacon Brussels & Cabbage Salad
Shredded Brussels sprouts and chopped cabbage salad topped crispy bits of bacon and chopped pecans | Gluten Free + Whole30 + Low Carb
- 1/2 pound | 220 grams Brussels sprouts
- 6 slices bacon strips
- 2 cloves | about 1 heaping teaspoon garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 cups | 180 grams thinly sliced purple cabbage ( 1 small cabbage should be about right)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijion mustard
- 1/4 cup | 27 grams pecans, roughly chopped
- black pepper to taste
- Prep the Sprouts: Cut off the tough ends of the sprouts and any browning outer leaves. Slice them as through thinly as possible and then roughly chop the sliced spouts to make them even smaller. Alternatively you can do this easily using a food processor by using the slicing blade and pressing the sprouts against the blade with the provided plastic pusher.
- Once the sprouts are chopped and sliced place them in fine mesh strainer/colander and rinse with water to clean out the dirt that's usually hiding between their leaves.
- Lay out the bacon on the cold pan. Turn the heat on low and let the bacon cook for 2-3 minutes until crispy and brown. Flip it over and continue cooking the other side another 2-3 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate for the time. When the bacon is cool enough to handle chop into small bit sized pieces.
- Without wiping down the pan and the heat still set to low add the garlic and let cook for a minute, stirring the whole time, until fragrant. Add the sprouts and the cabbage to the pan and mix with the garlic for about 30 seconds to quickly warm the veggies. Turn off the heat.
- In a small cup quickly whisk together the olive oil and mustard. Pour the mixture over the contents of the pan and toss to combine. Finally, stir in the chopped bacon and pecans and black pepper.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Leave a Review!