Shredded Brussels sprouts, chopped apples and crispy bacon pieces make up this sweet and salty Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad. Just mix together and toss in a super simple honey mustard vinaigrette and enjoy! Gluten Free + Low Carb
Apologies in advance for what I’m about to say. This probably sounds like a fake thing that only smug food bloggers would say, but I genuinely get really excited when I see Brussels sprouts start showing up in the produce aisle every year.
Just hear me out! Brussels sprouts mean fall is here. Fall means sweater weather. Sweater whether means I can get away not wearing a bra 96% of the time. What’s not to love about all of those things?
And I mean, I love Brussels sprouts too, of course. I love eating them shredded, roasted, sautéed – you name it.
I especially love eating them with crispy pieces of salty bacon. There’s a reason why almost every Brussels sprouts salad or recipes comes with bacon.
See also my:
- Bacon Brussels & Blue Cheese Flatbread
- Bacon Brussels & Cabbage Salad
- Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Bacon
- Bacon & Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Spiced Garlic Sautéed Brussels Sprouts With Creamy Feta
Here’s another Brussels Sprouts Salad to add to the collection!
Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples & Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
This salad is suuuuper simple to make. It can be made in less than 20 minutes, with only 10 ingredients (and that includes things like salt, pepper and oil).
The salad base is made up of:
- Shredded Brussels sprouts
- Diced apples – use any type you like. If you’re looking to keep this lower carb use a green apple that’s lower in sugat
- Roughly chopped almonds – you can easily swap out the almonds for almost any type of nut or seed. Walnuts & pecans make good additions to the salad but you can also throw in sunflower or pumpkin seeds too.
The Honey Mustard Vinaigrette is just as easy
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- White Wine Vinegar – you can also use apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Garlic cloves
- Salt & Pepper
Simply whisk together your vinaigrette until combined and that’s it! You can taste and adjust the seasonings to your personal preferences. Add a little more honey if you want it sweeter or salt to bring out the flavours.
This salad keeps well for 2-3 days in the refrigerator making for great to pull out for light lunches or a quick dinner side salad.
If I weren’t trying to cut back on my dairy I’d have also added some crumbled up feta or goats cheese. I think diced cheddar chunks would also go well with the apple. Feel free to add some for yourself!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Brussels Sprouts Salad! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page – those are always fun to see!
- 5 strips streaky bacon
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, hard ends trimmed
- 1 large apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- Optional Additions: crumbled goats cheese or feta, dried cranberries, handful of other chopped nuts like walnut and pecans
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, mined
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper or to taste
Prep the Sprouts:
- Cut off the tough ends of the sprouts and any browning outer leaves. Slice them as through thinly as possible and then roughly chop the sliced spouts to make them even smaller.
- Alternatively you can do this easily using a food processor by using the slicing blade and pressing the sprouts against the blade with the provided plastic pusher.
- Once the sprouts are chopped and sliced place them in fine mesh strainer/colander and rinse with water to clean out the dirt that's usually hiding between their leaves.
- Lay out the bacon on the cold skillet or pan. Turn the heat on low and let the bacon cook for 2-3 minutes until crispy and brown. Flip it over and continue cooking the other side another 2-3 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and place a cutting board. When the bacon is cool enough to handle chop into small bit sized pieces.
- Add the brussels sprouts, bacon, apple and almonds to a large salad bowl and toss well to combine.
- Add all of the ingredients listed for the vinaigrette to a small cup or jar and whisk until fully combined. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Just before serving, pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat.