Warm and hearty, Italian inspired Sausage & Kale Soup – all made in one pot in about 30 minutes. Gluten Free + Low Carb + Whole30 Option
Originally posted 7 October 2015 – Updated with improved photos, recipe and tips 23 September 2019
Sausage and Kale Soup
This soup is packed full of hearty sausage pieces and good-for-you veggies! Instead of dairy milk we use 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk to add an extra layer of creaminess that gives off just a slight hint of coconut. If you’re not of fan of coconut feel free to just use more chicken stock for a lighter, brothy-er and equally delicious soup!
Cookings Tips & Suggestions
- Make Paleo/Whole30 friendly – this really just comes down to what type of sausage you use. Make sure to look for sugar/nitrate free sausage. If you can’t find any suitable sausage options you can always use pork mince and add a few Italian herbs like oregano, fennel seed and red chili flakes. You’ll also probably need to increase the amount of salt later.
- Freeze for later: Since coconut milk tends to separate when frozen ditch the milk and just use 6 cups of chicken stock. Let the soup cool completely and then transfer to a freezer safe container.
- To Thaw: Transfer the soup to fridge and let it thaw in there overnight. Once thawed reheat on the stove top or microwave until it’s piping hot.
- Make sure to drain the oil from the sausages after you cook them. The first time I made this I thought I could just use the oil from the sausage to cook the veg. I ended up with a very oil soup that needed to be skimmed later.
- Bulk it out. If you don’t need this soup to paleo or low carb go ahead and add a can of white beans or diced potato to the soup for a little more protein and fibre.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you make this Sausage and Kale Soup! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 pound Italian sausage with the casing removed
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 large stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 5 cups (1.2L) chicken stock
- 1 cup (240 ml) full fat unsweetened coconut milk (or another cup of chicken stock)
- 1 small handful fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Warm a large pot over a medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook. Use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage into smaller pieces. Cook until browned.
- Remove the sausage from the pot and set aside. Drain the oil from the pot and then put the pot back on the heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion, celery, carrot, garlic, bay lead and thyme and cook about 7 minutes to soften the veggies. Make sure to stir everything around to prevent the garlic and onion from overcooking.
- Add the kale pieces and cook another couple of minutes until wilted.
- Pour the chicken stock and coconut milk into your pot, covering the veggies. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce down to a simmer. Let cook, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as you see fit. The amount of salt you use will vary depending on how salty your stock is.
- For a little added brightness squeeze some fresh lemon juice or add a splash of dry white wine.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 326 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 548mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 17g