Hearty + healthy Chicken and Rice Soup – comes together in the instant pot and ready in under 30 minutes! Perfect for fall and winter dinners! | Gluten Free + Dairy Free
One thing that I really love about being married to someone who grew up in a different country is when we’re able to introduce each other to different foods we had growing up. He gets to share with me his appreciate for pork pies, yorkshire pudding, and kinder eggs and I get to make him the things my mom used to make for my family when I was a kid.
There’s something uniquely comforting and nostalgic about being in a different kitchen in another country but surrounded by the smells you used to know so well.
Even though this chicken and wild rice soup isn’t exactly the most traditional recipe – made without dairy and gluten flour – it’s still got that same base flavour profile that I remember devouring when I was young.
So let’s get into it!
How to Make: Chicken and Wild Rice Soup in the Instant Pot
Unlike your average Chicken and Wild Rice Soup this recipe comes together and is ready to be served on your table in under 30 minutes thanks to the Instant Pot.
It starts off with a quick sautéing of veggies. Once your olive oil is nice and hot and in your vegetable blend: chopped onions, celery, carrots, and mushrooms. Let those babies soften, simmer and smell amazing for a few minutes before adding in your garlic and herbs.
After a minute or two add in the wine and wild rice blend. Feel free to use all wild rice here – I’d have done the same but it’s not so easy to find here in the UK.
Then just add your chicken pieces, a little bit of tapioca flour or corn starch for thickening, and chicken stock and you’re ready to cook. Set the cooker to 5 minutes and just wait. The instant pot may need a few minutes to come to pressure before it actually starts cooking and I recommend letting it depressurise in the end at its own speed. Even with the waiting before and after this soups should still be done in under 30 minutes which makes it a perfect weeknight meal when you want something quick & easy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (8oz)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice blend - ensure gluten free
- 4 cups chicken stock (960ml)
- 1 1/2 cups water (360ml)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine - on more water (120ml)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or corn starch + 2 tablespoons water
- Press the sauté button on the instant pot and wait for it to heat up. Add the olive oil. When the oil is simmering add the onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook for about 7-8 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Add in the rice and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken breast to the pot then cover with the chicken stock, water and wine.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot and make sure the dial on top is set to 'sealing'. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. (Press 'Manual' or 'Pressure Cook' and set the timer to 5 minutes.)
- After the time is up the Instant Pot will automatically switch the keep warm. Let it keep warm for 10 depressurising on its own before releasing the steam valve.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and transfer to a cutting board or a plate. Using a couple of forks shred the chicken into small pieces and then add back into the soup.
- Switch the instant pot back on to the 'sauté' setting to simmer with the lid off. While simmering, mix the starch and water together in a small cup, then pour into the soup. Let cook another few minutes until the soup thickens up.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed and serve.
If you have leftover roast chicken or turkey you can easily add them to this soup. Instead of adding the uncooked chicken breast before cooking just add the cooked shredded chicken/turkey at the end.
If using long-grain wild rice instead of the blend, simply cook the wild rice and chicken broth for 25 minutes on high in the instant pot. While the rice is cooking, prep the other ingredients for the sauté step. Once the rice finishes, quick-release and set broth and rice aside in another bowl and move onto the sauté steps. When the recipe calls for rice and broth to be added, just pour the mixture back into the pot and continue with the recipe