No need to run to the store to satisfy your snacking needs! These homemade cheesy gluten free crackers are easier to make than you might think. With just six, basic ingredients and a little patience waiting for the dough to chill you’ll be done before you know it! | Gluten Free + Nut Free + Gum Free
I think I like these crackers too much for my own good. I don’t know what it is about cheese crackers (Cheez Its are my all time fav junk food) but I lose all sense of self control when they’re around.
Fortunately with only six ingredients and zero preservatives, I can feel a little better eating my fair share of crispy, crunchy cheesy goodness.
Altogether the cracker making process isn’t too hard, but it does take a little time to chill, slice and transfer the dough to the baking sheets.
Rolling and cutting the dough into little squares can feel a little tedious but not actually that difficult. Just put on some music or a good podcast and you’ll be done before you know it.
Quick Questions Before You Make these Cheesy Gluten Free Crackers
What kind of flour should I use? Do I need a blend with xanthan or guar gum?
- Any generic all purpose gluten free flour blend will work for these crackers including my homemade gluten free flour blend.
- You do not need to use xanthan or gum for the crackers. However, if you gf flour blend already contains some sort of gum that’s also not a problem.
- If you’re looking for a grain free + vegan option you might find these sweet potato paleo crackers to be more suitable for you.
What kind of cheese can I use?
- So long as you use a hard cheese – something like cheddar/red leicester you can really you whatever you like. Pepper jack would be excellent if you want a cracker with a kick.
Can I use vegan/dairy free cheese?
- Yes! Again, just make sure it’s a grated hard cheese and you should be fine. You can also use dairy free/vegan butter if you want to make vegan crackers.
Can I make these crackers without a food processor?
- Yes! While the food processor is great for breaking up the cheese and mixing everything together thoroughly you can absolutely make these crackers with nothing more than a bowl, a fork and a little elbow grease. Your crackers might be a little more streaky, but you’ll still walk away with some bomb crackers in the end.
I really enjoy the crispy-crunchiness of these crackers. If you’re more interested in a slightly softer texture more like that of a Ritz cracker then I recommend cutting the cook time by 2-3 minutes.
When you’re all set to snack on enjoy these along side your favourite dip! If you need a little dip inspo here are a few of my favourites:
- Roasted Fennel & Green Olive Tapenade
- Sriracha Lime Hummus
- Sun Dried Tomato White Bean Dip
- Cauliflower Pizza Dip
- Roasted Carrot Hummus
- Basil Avocado Dip
- Chipotle Mayo
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to @asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Cheesy Gluten Free Crackers! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
Cheesy Gluten Free Crackers
These homemade cheesy gluten free crackers are easier to make than you might think. With just six, basic ingredients and a little patience waiting for the dough to chill you’ll be done before you know it! | Gluten Free + Nut Free + Gum Free
- 1 cup (140 g) gluten free all purpose flour blend
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (4 oz) grated cheese (use a hard cheese like cheddar, jack, red leicester etc)
- 1/4 cup (56 g) cold butter cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ice cold water
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder and grated cheese to a food processor and blend together for about 30 seconds until fully combined.
- Add the butter and blend until a sandy mixture forms. Add the water and blend once more until a soft, slightly sticky dough forms.
- With lightly floured hands, take the dough and press into a round disc. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge to chill for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 3750F/180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Lay out a large sheet of baking paper on a flat surface. Divide the dough into two portions and place one half of the dough in the middle of the baking paper. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough in a rectangular shape until it's about 1/8 inch thick.
- With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into squares about 1 inch wide. Use a small fork or tooth pick to prick holes in the centre of each squares.
- Transfer the squares onto your prepared baking sheet. Leave a little bit of space between each square. Place in the middle of the oven and bake 19-20 minutes until cooked. Let cool at least 5 minutes before moving from the tray and enjoy!
- Crackers will keep at room temperature for a week. Leave them in an open container (not sealed) to maintain crunchiness.
- Any gluten free all purpose flour blend will work including my homemade gf blend. You do not need a blend with xanthan or guar gum.
- It's important to make sure that you let the dough chill in the fridge long enough so that the crackers don't spread as they cook.
Leave a Review!