Five ingredient Gluten Free Flapjacks – This recipe has been tested in a number of ways to ensure that it’s suitable for gluten free, vegan and low fodmap diets depending on which ingredients you use. No matter which way you make it these bars are simple, moreish and incredibly easy to make!
How to Make Gluten Free Flapjacks
There are a lot of reasons to love flapjacks – the ease and simplicity in making them is definitely one reason! The making of process broken down into a few mains steps:
- Melt the butter (or oil) in a sauce pot along with the sugar, sweetener of your choice and salt. Melt and mix until the sugar has dissolved and the butter (or oil) has completely melted.
- Stir in the oats. Turn off the heat and stir in the oats until fully mixed in the syrup mixture.
- Transfer and press in a lined baking tin. Line an 8x8inch baking tin with baking paper. I recommend leaving an inch of paper hanging over the sides so that you can easily lift the bars out of your tin later.
- Bake. For chewier bars bake about 22-25 minutes. For crunchier bars leave them in the oven 25-28 minutes. Once done, cool, slice and enjoy!
Make it Vegan
- Use vegan butter or coconut oil ✔️
- Use golden syrup or maple syrup instead of honey
Make it Low FODMAP
- Use maple syrup instead of honey or golden syrup ✔️
- I have not tested these bars with brown rice syrup but I do think that it would also work here as a low FODMAP option ✔️
Additions & Variations
Flapjacks really lend themselves well to sprucing up with a few simple additions. While they’re delicious and addicting enough as is – feel free to play around with the ingredients to make these bars your own!
- Chocolate – Sprinkle a layer of chocolate chips over the top of the bars right after they come out of the oven. The residual heat of the bars will melt the chocolate that you can spread to create a thin chocolate later on top.
- Nuts & Seeds – Replace 1/4 cup of oats with any combination of chopped nuts and seeds for an additional punch of protein and crunch.
- Dried fruit – Replace 1/4 cup of oats with raisins, dried apricots, cranberries or other dried fruits. Fruit with increase the chewiness and add another element of sweetness to your bars.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Gluten Free Flapjacks! I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1/2 cup (113 g) butter or coconut oil (104 g)
- 1/4 cup (85 g) honey or maple syrup (103 g)
- 1/3 cup (73 g) light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional - omit if using salted butter)
- 2 1/2 cups (225 g) certified gluten free oats
- Preheat oven the 325°F/160°C. Line an 8x8 inch square baking tin with baking paper. Leave an inch of paper hanging over the sides so that you can easily remove the bars from the pan later. Set aside.
- In a medium sized pot combine the butter, honey, light brown sugar and salt. Warm over a medium low heat. Stir until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Turn off the heat. Add the oats and mix until fully combined.
- Transfer the oats into the lined baking tin. Press evenly into the tin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-28 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack then cut into slices and enjoy.