Simple, oaty Strawberry Crumb Bars spiced with a touch of cinnamon and sweetened with maple syrup to make it low FODMAP friendly | Gluten Free + Vegan + Nut Free
Quick poll: What’s your favourite berry?
Mine would absolutely have to be strawberries. I live for strawberry season. They’re sweet, juicy and good pretty much no matter what you do to them.
Though if we’re going to get technical here I don’t think strawberries actually count as berries but avocados and bananas do??
Tangents and technicalities aside, let’s focus on what’s really important here today: Strawberry Crumb Bars 🍓🍓🍓
These bars have a soft, oat-y base with a simply sweetened strawberry centre and topped off with that crumbly, streusel topping. You ready?
How to Make: Strawberry Crumb Bars
These bars are super easy to make – made with only 10 basic ingredients and about 15 minutes of prep. The prep can be broken up into two simple stages: the filling and the crumble.
The Fruit Filling
Simply toss the chopped strawberries in a bowl with a little lemon juice and sugar. Place the strawberry mixture over a colander or fine mesh strainer positioned over a bowl to catch the juices and set that aside while you prep the crumble.
The Delicious Crumble
The crumble itself is super easy to make. It’s really just a matter of whisking together the dry ingredients and the mixing in the wet (maple syrup and coconut oil).
This recipe calls for oat flour which you can easily make at home if you own a high powered blender like a blendtec or a vitamix. If your blender isn’t up to the task and you don’t have any oat flour at home feel free to replace the oat flour for a regular all purpose gluten free flour and you’ll be good to go!
Once prepped – layer up your bars.
- Press about 3/4 of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a prepared baking tin.
- Spoon the strawberry mixture over the top in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumb topping over the strawberries.
If you’re anything like me the most challenging part about this whole thing will be not easting too much of the crumb mixture before baking.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Strawberry Crumb Bars! I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 2 cups |300 grams strawberries, diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons coconut sugar
Crust and crumb topping
- 1 1/2 cups certified gluten free quick oats
- 1 1/2 cups certified gluten free oat flour, can sub with all purpose gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- Combine the strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a medium sized bowl, stir slightly. Pour the strawberries into a colander or fine mesh strainer. Place over bowl you just mixed everything in and and set aside until later.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Lightly grease or line an 8x8inch baking tin.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the maple syrup and coconut oil until combined.
- Measure out about 3/4 of the dough and press into the bottom of a greased or lined 8x8in square pan.
- Spoon the strawberry mixture evenly onto of the bottom crust. Take the remaining 1/4 of the dough and sprinkle it over the top of the fruit.
- Place the pan bake in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the top comes out golden brown.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into slices and store in an airtight container for up to five days.
You can use cold butter in place of coconut oil but you'll need to add another 2-3 tablespoons to the dough.