15 minute stir fry Garlic Ginger and Spring Onion Chicken – a Chinese takeout favourite made easy!
I can’t even begin to count the number of times we’ve had this Ginger and Spring Onion Chicken over the past month. It’s a real dinnertime victory in our house when I find a chicken dish that both Mike & I are both obsessed with.
Since making the first variation of this based on a youtube video we found a while back we’ve been making it nonstop. With a dish this easy and delicious there’s no reason not to.
Ginger and Spring Onion Chicken
You’re only 15 minutes and one pan away from making your very own Chinese takeout fake-out dish. The base flavours here are nothing fancy – just garlic, ginger and onions.
The sauce ingredients are also pretty straight forward with the most specialised ingredient being the oyster sauce (<-affiliate link). You’ll need to double check and guarantee that the oyster sauce is gluten free as many do contain gluten. I’ve found that a lot of healthy food stores like Sprouts and Whole Foods usually carry gluten free oyster sauce, but if you’re struggling to find any then Amazon is always a great place to look.
- Prep. This dish cooks fast so I recommend prepping all of your ingredients before your start cooking. Have all of your vegetables chopped up and your sauce mixed together because the second your start quick frying the chicken it will be over before you know it.
- Slice your chicken thin. The most obvious difference between a takeout stir fry and a homemade stir fry is how the chicken is prepped. The thinner the chicken the more tender it becomes which makes it easier to reheat and less likely to become chewy. Slice it so thin you’re wondering if maybe it might be too thin.
When you’re all set serve this chicken over rice or noodles. If you’re looking for a healthier meal option this goes well over a bed of cauliflower fried rice.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Ginger and Spring Onion Chicken! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 tablespoon gluten free oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper each
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup | 80 ml water
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch, or cornstarch
Chicken & Veg
- 1 tablespoon | 15 ml cooking oil
- 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced very thin
- 1/2 onion, sliced (white, brown or yellow)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, ends removed and cut into 1 inch long pieces
- Combine the oyster sauce, salt, pepper, sugar, water and starch to a small cup and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Warm the oil in a wok or skillet on a high heat. Add the chicken and cook quickly for a minute or two until it's no longer pink. Transfer the chicken to a small plate and set aside.
- Add the sliced onions to the same wok/skillet. Add a little more oil if needed and sauté for a minute to soften the onion. Add the ginger and the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the chicken back to the wok along with the green onions. Stir fry a minute to finish cooking the chicken.
- Add the combined sauce to the wok. Cook until the sauce turns into a thicker, saucy consistency.
- Remove from the heat and serve over rice or noodles and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203 Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 933mg Carbohydrates: 10g Sugar: 2g Protein: 18g