Bacon, Brussels and Blue Cheese Flatbread: pizza for two in under 30 minutes!
How was your Christmas? Was it good? Was it white? Was it warm and sunny?
Now that we’re on the other side of Christmas I’m not going to lie – I think I might just be a teensy bit relieved that it’s over. Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas! I really do…the weather, the baking, the gift giving….but w o w it’s a lot of work! I’m looking forward to another 10 months or so of not having to even think of buying anyone a Christmas present.
Does that make me a total kill joy or what? Next I’m going to try to put brussels sprouts on pizza or something like that.
But really hear me out first.
I know that brussels sprouts have a certain reputation for omitting some pretty offensive odors. Nothing says ba humbug quite like the smell of brussels sprouts boiling away to high heavens on the stove top. Merry Christmas, here’s your gas mask!
The trick with sprouts though, is to cook them in as quickly as you can. The longer the cook, the stronger the smell. You can always choose to eat them raw with a nice little vinaigrette to go with it, or quickly toss them in a pan with a little oil/fat for extra flavor. Easy.
This recipe is perfect if you’re also enjoying your stay in left over city. Mike’s been eating his body weight in leftover turkey and sausage while I’ve been hoarding the bacon and sprouts salad. I thought I’d change it up a bit by throwing it all onto a flatbread and calling it a pizza. Bacon, blue cheese, almonds…it’s everything you didn’t know you wanted in a pizza and it’s super easy to throw together.
You can also throw left over veggies into this soup if you’re not sure what to do with them, or make a quick quesadilla using the leftover turkey and cranberry sauce with a little bit of brie. This week I’m keeping it simple to make up for the chaos that has been this month.
- 2 gluten free naan or flatbread
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 shallot diced
- 8 brussels sprouts shredded
- 2 ounces blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons almonds
- salt and pepper
- Chop the bacon slices and add them to a small skillet on medium heat. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly until the bacon is cooked. Add the shallot to the skillet and sauté until soft for a couple of minutes. Finally add the shredded sprouts to the skillet and cook for another minute.
- Heat the oven to 400°F/200°C
- Lay out the two flatbreads on a baking sheet. Divide the brussels sprouts mixture evenly between the flatbread. Roughly chop the almonds and scatter them over the sprouts. Top with crumbled blue cheese and a little salt and pepper and bake for 8-10 minutes until the flatbreads are slightly brown around the edges
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Saturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 551mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 15g
At any rate, I hope you had a very merry Christmas (or at least a really good Friday) and I wish you tons of happiness in the New Year. Now go enjoy the rest the rest of 2015!