Fresh herbs, ground spices and zesty lemon make up the foundation of this thick and punchy marinade. Chermoula paste is often found in many North African/Moroccan cuisines. You can use this on meats, fish, or even tossed in roasted veggies. | Gluten Free + Paleo + Whole30 + Keto
I don’t know about you, but I feel sorry for those unfortunate souls out there who think that cilantro tastes like soap. They’re missing out on some quality cuisines – this bright and zesty Moroccan inspired chermoula paste to name one!
HOW TO MAKE CHERMOULA PASTE
There’s really not much to making this paste – simply throw all of the ingredients in to a blender or small food processor and blitz until you end up with a thick, pasty mixture.
A couple things to keep in mind
- You can use both the cilantro & parsley leaves and stems to make this. Their stems are soft enough that they usually blend up easily. If you have loads a thick, long stems tear some of them away but you can save yourself that extra step if you’d like.
- Add a small chili pepper if you’re keen on spice for a little extra punch
- If you’d like to serve this as a finishing sauce, add an additional 2-3 tablespoons of oil to thin out the paste if needed.
How do I serve it?
Use as a marinade over, meats, shrimp, fish or even roasted veggies. If you’re after a meat free alternative, this also makes for a great tofu marinade. You can also add some additional olive oil to thin out the paste to use more as a finishing sauce to pout on top of your meat, fish or veg.
How long does it keep?
Keeps for about a week in the fridge in an airtight container, after this point it will start to lose flavour.
Can I freeze it?
Yes! Since this is a dairy free sauce it lends itself well to freezing/thawing. It keeps about a month in the freezer. Once thawed use within a few days
MORE AFRICAN DISHES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- Moroccan Spiced Shepards Pie (Vegan)
- Moroccan Stuffed Zucchini Boats (Vegan)
- Moroccan Chicken Stew (Paleo)
- One Pot African Peanut Stew (Vegan)
OTHER SAUCES, MARINADES & DIPS YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try making your own Chermoula Paste! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 cup cilantro, packed
- 1 cup parsley, packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Add everything to a small blender and process into a thick, slightly grainy feeling paste. Add more olive oil to the blender if needed for easier blending.
- Use as a marinade over meats, fish or for roasted veggies.
- Keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge up to 1 week.
- If you'd like to use this paste as a finishing sauce to serve over cooked food, add 2-3 more tablespoons of olive oil for a thinner, saucier consistency.
Serving Size:1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 38 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 182mg Carbohydrates: 1g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 0g