30 minute Chickpea Lime & Coconut Soup – warm, satisfying & easy to make! | Gluten Free + Vegan + Grain Free
I know it’s still very much summer and I should be posting ice cream or salad or some other type of BBQ worthy recipe that doesn’t require standing over over a hot stove…..but apparently Sheffield hasn’t quite received that memo.
The weather has been so hot/cold this past week. Rain in the morning & sunshine in the evening – I’m so seasonally confused I don’t know how to dress myself in the morning let alone decide what to make for dinner.
Good thing I’m fiercely committed to eating soups no matter what the season. If anything this just gives me a more legitimate reason to go for it.
And hey! If the rain stops & the sun comes out before I’m finished with this bowl I’ve got some chocolate ice cream in the freezer to cool me down. It’s a win-win no matter what.
So then….shall we begin?
The inspiration for this soup actually came from my Coconut Lime Chicken recipe. It’s easily my most popular recipe & thought it was time for a little meatless make over. Since the coconut lime sauce is the real MVP of that recipe – turning that base into a soup was a no brainer.
This soup is made all in one pot and comes together in about 30 minutes.
The base flavours here are:
It’s warm, savoury with a lot of added ‘zing’ from the lime juice.
This also works great as an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink recipe.
If you’ve got any odd bits and pieces of veggies that need using, go ahead and throw them in here. Add more or less veggies based on what you like. Not a fan of sweet potatoes? Swap them with white potatoes or leave them out. Got a bunch of kale that’s starting to wilt – pop it in!
Once you’ve got your base coconut soup worked out feel free to play around with what you have in and make this your own.
In the end you’ll be left with a clean fridge and a nourished body – what more could you want?
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Chickpea Lime & Coconut Soup! I’d love to see what you make with it! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
30 minute Chickpea Lime & Coconut Soup - warm, satisfying & easy to make! | Gluten Free + Vegan + Grain Free
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped (about 1/2 of an onion)
- 2 teaspoons crush garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1 red chili, chopped & deseeded (optional - half if you want a little extra kick and a whole pepper if you like things spicy)
- 2 small or medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded & chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can | 14 oz coconut milk
- 3 cups | 720 ml vegetable broth
- 1 can | 15 oz chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons | 30 ml fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teasoon sea salt or to taste
- chopped cilantro, optional
Heat the coconut oil in a large, heavy bottom pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onion. Cook until very soft, translucent and breaking down, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chilli pepper. Stir and cook until fragrant, constantly stirring to avoid burning the garlic.
Add the the sweet potato, red pepper and turmeric to the pot & stir.
Add the entire can of coconut milk and the vegetable stock. Stir the pot, place a lid on top, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat on the stove to a simmer and remove the lid. Cook until the potatoes are just-tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the chickpeas and spinach.
Stir in the lime juice. Taste and season with salt as needed and add cilantro.
Serve over rice and enjoy!
Latest posts by Sarah (see all)
- Low FODMAP Maple Mustard Chicken with Rosemary - January 15, 2018
- Paleo Sweet Potato Lasagna with Almond Ricotta & Basil Pesto - January 12, 2018
- Potato and Olive Stuffed Banana Peppers - January 8, 2018