Sweet and chewy Blueberry Coconut Oat Squares – made with easy to source gluten free ingredients and topped with a lemon glaze
I’ve had a serious revival in my love for blueberries lately. Throw them in cookies, throw them in salads, just throw them in anything and I’m all about it. It’s fitting considering these blueberry coconut squares just got a little revival of their own.
Originally I set out to make these blueberry oat cookies for possibly the 80th time.
I’ve been making every excuse to make those cookies again and again because I just love them so much. This time my excuse was to make a video to go along with it. I’ve been trying to start making videos to go along with recipes, but it’s been a bit of a learning curve. I figured the blueberry cookies would be a nice, easy recipe to practice on since they’re dead easy to make. It was only after I gathered all my ingredients that I realized I was out of All Purpose flour which put an end to those plans.
I don’t know about you, but once I decide that I want sweets I just gotta have them. There’s just no getting around it. No. Way.
After my 15 second pity party I decided to change course and revisit this recipe. I had the blueberries, I had the oats, I had the camera out. Why not? It’s been such a long time since I first made these blueberry coconut oat squares….too long I’m realizing!
I kept cutting small slices off of these little squares as I was taking pictures. A slice here, a sliver there…if the slice is smaller than your pinky finger it doesn’t count, right?….even if you probably end up eating at least 3 whole ones in the end? I think so. #math
I added a glaze to these new bars because lemon glazes make the world a happier place, but these are still just as good if you want to give it a pass…skipping the glaze also means that you don’t have to wait as long for the bars to cool before digging in so there’s a plus.
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 1/4 cup (85 grams) maple syrup or honey*
- 1/4 cup (54 grams) coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoons (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (112 grams) unsweetened desiccated or shredded coconut
- 1 cup (90 grams) rolled oats**
- 3 tablespoons (21 grams) coconut flour
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) blueberries fresh of frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar, (125 grams)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and lightly grease/oil a 8ix8 inch baking tray .
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs. Add the maple, the melted coconut oil, and the vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Stir in the desiccated coconut, the oats, flour, and salt. Gently stir in the blueberries.
- Press into your greased baking tray and bake for 30-45 minutes or until the top begins to turn slightly gold and set.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool before adding the glaze. If you add the glaze before it's cooled it will melt into the squares.
- To make the glaze whisk the powdered sugar and the lemon juice until no lumps remain. Drizzle over the top of the bars and enjoy
Maple makes this Low Fodmap but feel free to sub with honey if that isn't your concern
*Make sure that you get certified gluten free certified gluten free oats if you are Coeliac or especially sensitive to gluten and cross contamination.