Grain Free Blackberry Pie made with an easy almond flour crust and filled with a lightly sweetened berry filling | Gluten Free + 10 ingredients
I’ve officially run out of blackberries. For now at least. We’ve had a rainy couple of days in our neck of the woods so I’m hoping after another day or two of sunshine we’ll have a fair few nice and juicy berries to again before the season’s up over.
So to finish of the end of our Blackberry Week here on A Saucy Kitchen – I made you a pie! Blackberry Pie, of course!
How to Make: Grain Free Blackberry Pie
The crust for this pie is almost identical to that of my Paleo Strawberry Galette I shared quite awhile back. It’s one that I often forget about since almond flour can be pretty tough to get my hands on, but every time I make it it’s a huge it.
Considering the fact that it’s a grain free crust it’s actually pretty easy to make. Our star ingredients?
& an Egg
I usually like to use coconut milk as a butter replace whenever possible, but I do recommend using cold butter here. I’ve tried this crust using coconut oil in every which way & it’s just way too unreliable. Sometimes I can get it to work no problem and other times….not so much. If you can’t do dairy you can use a vegan, non dairy butter or even lard if you find it. Whatever you use – just make sure it’s cold. When I know I’ve got a pie to make I like to pop my butter in the freezer for a little bit – even if it’s just while I prep my ingredients.
The filling is even more simple to make – just mix together your blackberries, coconut sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a bowl along with a little tapioca starch. Just mix it, mash it ever so slightly and then set aside to macerate and become just a tough softer/juicier. It’s a super simple step that takes no time at all.
Once done you’ve got nothing left to do other than top with your favourite ice cream and enjoy the fruits of summer!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Grain Free Blackberry Pie! I’d love to see what you make with it! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 4 cups | 570 grams fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup | 100 grams coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup |25 grams tapioca starch
- 2 1/2 cups | 240 grams almond flour
- 1/2 cup | 50 grams tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup | 108 grams cold butter (or cold coconut palm oil for dairy free version)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 whole eggs, divided
- In a large mixing bowl toss together the blackberries, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice and tapioca starch. Toss until combine and then set aside for about 20 minutes. While the berries are sitting prep your crust.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C
- Combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, sea salt, baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Use pastry cutter or a fork to cut in the cold palm shortening or butter into the flour mixture until the size of small peas. Mix in the egg until a dough forms.
- Take about 3/4 of the dough and press into a 9 inch pie plate. Press evenly into the bottoms and the sides. Place in the fridge while you prep your top crust.
- Roll out the remaining dough on a lightly floured surface. At this point you can get creative with your top crust depending on what you use. Use a small cookie cutter, cup, or even bottle cap to cut out as many shapes into the dough as you can.
- Carefully spoon your blackberry mixture onto the bottom pie crust Take your cut our pieces of dough and place them on top of the filling. You don't need to make this part look neat and you don't need to cover the pie completely so that steam can escape while baking.
- Lightly beat the egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush on the top and edge of the pie crust.
- Place the pie to the oven and bake for another 40-45 minutes. The filling should be bubbling slightly and the top should be a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.