Chocolate and Hazelnut Slice and Bake Cookies – crunchy, toasted hazelnut cookies dipped in dark chocolate Grain Free + Vegan
Wednesdays call for chocolate, don’t ya think?
I mean…I could make an argument that everyday of the week calls for chocolate….but Wednesdays especially call for chocolate.
Wednesdays in December? Even more so. I can’t be the only one struggling to stay productive with all the holly, jolly, and bright feels going on around me. Right? Sometimes you just need a little pick me up to get you through the rest of the work week and chocolate is kind of the perfect thing to do just that.
So basically what I’m getting at is that I made some Chocolate & Hazelnut Slice and Bake Cookies and I think you should most definitely try them.
How to Make: Chocolate & Hazelnut Slice and Bake Cookies
Adapted from my grain free cinnamon roll cookies – these slice & bake cookies are super easy to make. The base recipe is essentially the same: chickpea flour, tapioca flour (affiliate links <–), coconut oil, maple + coconut sugar with the addition here of toasted hazelnuts and dark chocolate for dipping.
To make these cookies, simply whisk together the dry ingredients, stir in the wet ingredients and then roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and roll into an 8 inch log. Place in the fridge to firm up so that the dough holds shape when you cut it up into slices and then bake when you’re ready. After the cookies are done – a quick 10 minute in the oven is all you need – let them cool down on a wire rack before dipping in chocolate.
These make great Christmas cookies to give away to friends and family – no one will suspect that they’re gluten free and vegan!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Hazelnut Slice and Bake Cookies! I’d love to see what you make with it! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 1/4 cup | 135 grams chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup | 25 grams tapioca flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup | 25 grams chopped, toasted hazelnuts + more for sprinkling on top
- 5 tablespoons | 75 ml coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon | 5 ml vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup | 60 ml maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- course sugar for rolling the dough in (optional)
- 1/4 cup | 37 grams dairy free dark chocolate chips/chunks, melted
- In a large bowl whisk together the chickpea flour, tapioca, baking soda and chopped nuts until combined. Using an electric or stand mixer stir in the the coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup and coconut sugar until everything is fully mixed together and a dough forms.
- Lightly flour a large sheet of baking parchment (or silicon mat). Turn the dough out on the surface and with floured hands form the dough into an 8inch long log, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap up your log in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for an hour to firm up before slicing.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Lightly line or grease a large cookie sheet. Set aside.
- When you're ready to bake take the log out of the fridge. If desired, roll the logs in course sugar (gives the cookies a little extra crunch). Cut into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices. Place the slices on your prepared cookies sheet - leave an inch between each piece because they will puff up slightly while baking.
- Bake in the oven 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides. Let cool on the cookies sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled dip the cookies in the melted dark chocolate and then lay out on piece of wax paper. Sprinkle with chopped hazelnut and let dry.
Prep time includes refrigeration of dough