Sweet Potato Kale Breakfast Salad – pan fried sweet potatoes, bacon and chopped hard boiled eggs with toasted pumpkin seeds in a simple garlic vinaigrette. Hearty, filling and easy to make! Gluten Free + Paleo + Whole30
Say hello to my current salad obsession: Sweet Potato Kale Breakfast Salad
✔️ A little sweet
✔️A little salty
✔️With a little bit of added crunch &
✔️ All kinds of hearty goodness
Let’s do it!
Sweet Potato Kale Breakfast Salad
It all starts with the simple lemon-garlic vinaigrette made up of:
🌟salt & pepper
There’s really not much to it – just whisk everything together (except the garlic) in a small cup or jar and taste and season with a little more salt & pepper if needed.
It’s important to remember to ‘massage’ the kale here. I know it sounds kind of stupid and high maintenance for salad but I promise it’s really easy to do and makes a world of difference when you’re eating it! Gently rubbing the kale with a bit of oil before serving helps soft the hard leaves making them not only more tender but also less bitter. Measure out about 1 tablespoon of your garlic free vinaigrette and use that to scrunch your kale leaves until soft, about one minute.
After you’ve finished with the kale massage you can mix in the garlic to your remaining vinaigrette. Adding the garlic to the vinaigrette before massaging the kale will result in your hands smelling like for the rest of the day.
This is where the ‘breakfast; part of this breakfast salad comes in as we’re filling up with bacon, eggs and pan fried sweet potato.
Start out by frying up the bacon so that you can later sauté the sweet potatoes in the left over fat. The sweet potatoes should cook up in about 10 minutes. Make sure to keep flipping and stirring as they cook so no one side cooks too much and begins to burn. When the sweet potatoes are fork tender you’re good to go.
Finally, add the pepitas to the same pan and gently toast for 1-2 minutes. The pepitas will begin to pop which is how you know you’re done.
Add the bacon, eggs, potato and pepitas to your massaged kale and toss to combine. Drizzle over your prepared vinaigrette and you’re all set!
Like most kale salads this keeps very well for leftover for about 4-5 days so it’s great if you want to meal prep for breakfasts, lunches, or dinners.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Sweet Potato Kale Breakfast Salad ! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1/4 cup | 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon | 15 ml lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt & pepper, each
- 5 cups curly leaf kale chopped into bite sized pieces
- 6 slices good quality thick bacon (look for sugar free bacon if Whole30)
- 1 medium or large sweet potato, washed and cut into 1/4 inch cubes , peeling is optional
- 3 eggs hard boiled and diced
- 1/4 cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- In a small cup or jar whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients except the garlic until well combined. Wait to add the garlic until after you've massaged your kale so that your hands don't end up smelling garlicky for the rest of the day.
- Add the chopped kale to a large salad bowl. Measure out 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and pour over the kale. Scrunch handfuls of kale to massage. Keep scrunching until the leaves darken and soften about 1 minute.
- Now add the minced garlic to the remaining vinaigrette.
- To cook the bacon: lay the bacon strips out flat on a large, cold pan. Turn the heat on low and let the bacon cook for a few minutes before flipping and cooking the other side until crispy. Remove from heat and chop into little bite sized pieces.
- Add the sweet potatoes in an even layer to the same pan you cooked the bacon in. Cook in the leftover bacon fat - add a little more oil if needed. Allow the potatoes to cook over a medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Flip and cook the other sides. Continue cooking and flipping adding more oil as needed until cooked tender - about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the pan. Wipe down the pan and add the pepitas to the pan and lightly toast for 1-2 minutes over a low heat, stirring.
- Add the bacon, sweet potato, eggs and toasted pepitas to kale and toss. Drizzle over the vinaigrette and toss again to coat. Taste and season the salad with more salt and pepper as needed and enjoy!
Leftovers will keep up to five days in the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Saturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 613mgCarbohydrates: 14gSugar: 1gProtein: 17g