Try this bright and crunchy Paleo Chicken Salad – made with shredded chicken, finely chopped romaine, spring onions, cilantro, apple and almonds & dresses with a zesty curried lime mayo! Gluten Free + Low Carb + Dairy Free
I have my mom to thank for this chicken salad. It’s one of the few things she makes that passes everyones taste test – not a bad feat for feeding a family of seven.
I mean, just looking at it I don’t think I’d have guessed it would always go down so well. Let’s be real here: mayonnaise salads don’t exactly look all that appetising. There are too many weird, creamy textures and ingredients that are hard to identify….Or maybe that’s just me?
At any rate – this Paleo Chicken Salad is definitely worth making! It hits all the right textures and flavours in every bites. It’s sweet, crunchy, tangy, creamy, salty and just straight up delicious!
So let’s get to it!
How to Make This Paleo Chicken Salad
To sum it up – this salad is super easy to make. It’s really just a matter of chopping and mixing. Breaking down the ingredients list:
- Romain Lettuce – finely chopped or shredded for added bulk
- Shredded Chicken – use pre made rotisserie chicken or quickly poach and shred a couple of breasts first
- Sliced Green Onions
- Fresh Cilantro (or parsley if you’re cilantro-averse)
- Diced Apple – for added crunch and sweetness. Use green apple for a lower sugar/more keto friendly option
- Slivered Almonds – adds CRUNCH
- Mayo – homemade mayonnaise or store bought
- Curry Powder – added to the mayo for a more interesting mayo dressing
- Lime Juice – makes this salad pop
- Salt – a little salt makes everything better
I think this salad is enjoyed best as a light lunch or dinner. It’s got everything you need to feel full and satisfied: fruit, veg, protein, fibre and fat.
This chicken salad is best served fresh but you can keep it stored in the fridge for up to 2 days tops so you can enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 large bunch romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chicken, cooked & shredded (
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large apple, diced (for keto/low carb green apples are the lowest in sugar)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup paleo mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut off and discard the hard end of the romaine and finely chop/shred the leaves and ribs.
- Add the shredded romaine to a large salad bowl along with the spring onions, cilantro, apple and almonds. Toss together to mix. Set aside.
- Add the mayo to a small mixing bowl along with the curry powder, lime juice and salt and whisk together until fully combined.
- Add the mayo mixture to the salad and toss once more until the salad if fully coated in the curried mayo.
- Taste and season with additional salt and lime juice if needed and serve. This salad is best enjoyed fresh and will keep well for 1-2 days tops.
HOW TO MAKE SHREDDED CHICKEN:
Lay the chicken breasts at the bottom of a medium sized sauce pan - make sure not to overlap the chicken so they cook evenly. Cover with at least 2 inches of cold water. Add the salt. Bring the chicken to a boil over a medium/heat and then cover and reduce down to a simmer. Let gently simmer for about 15 minutes to cook internally.
Once done remove the chicken from the water and let cool a couple of minutes. You should be able to easily shred the chicken with a couple of forks at this point.