Deconstructed Guacamole Salad – all the flavours of guacamole without as much work mashing & mixing. Enjoy this salad with your favourite tortilla chips or keep it low carb served as a side to a more protein rich dish. As is, this salad is naturally low carb but you can always bulk it out with added black beans and sweet corn for a more filled out dish.
I’m going to go ahead and file this under: things I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of sooner.
Everyone’s favourite dip is making a new appearance as this fresh and zesty guacamole salad. It’s basically a ‘deconstructed’ guacamole which basically just means that it’s more chopped, less mashed. Just as much flavour without as much work.
How to Make Guacamole Salad
Altogether this salad is made up of only 8 ingredients, but feel free to play around with this recipe depending on how you like your guac. This one is based off of my favourite go-to guacamole with the addition of added tomatoes.
Our star ingredients?
- Haas Avocados
- Cherry Tomatoes (you can sub for other tomato types)
- Red Onion
- Fresh Cilantro
- Lime Juice
- Ground Cumin
- Red Chili Flakes
- & Salt
- Ideally you wanna use the standard Hass avocados – they’re the darker, pebbly skinned avocados that you typically see in the grocery store. Hass are the best type of avocados for guacamole because they’re more creamy in texture making it ideally for traditional guacamole.
- When the avocados are firm, but yield to gentle pressure they are ripe and ready to go. If they feel mushy then they are too ripe and will likely be brown and stringy on the inside and if they feel hard to the touch they are still too unripe to use.
HOW LONG DOES THIS KEEP?
Once exposed to air, avocados begin to oxidise and turn a sad, mushy brown. This process is inevitable so I recommend serving this dish as fresh as possible.
If you don’t mind this look of avocado once it turns brown you can make this earlier in the day and enjoy it a few hours later.
Serve this as a side to:
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken – paleo/whole30
- Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas – paleo/keto/whole30
- Skinny, bean free Sweet Potato Enchiladas – vegetarian
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole – vegetarian
- Sautéed Adobo Black Beans – vegan
Deconstructed Guacamole Salad - all the flavours of guacamole without as much work mashing & mixing.
- 2 large haas avocados, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Add everything to a large salad bowl and toss together until combined.
- Taste and season with additional salt if needed.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy this salad as fresh as possible.
Leave a Review!