One bowl paleo lemon olive oil cake | made with grain free flours, no refined sugars, fiery ginger, lemon zest & olive oil. | Gluten Free + Paleo + Dairy Free
I have deemed January as a month of systemizing and organizing. That probably sounds incredibly boring but I personally love nerding out on bullet journals, organizational systems and morning routines. Yesterday I even ordered a Daily Greatness Journal and now I keep checking my email to see if it’s been dispatched yet.
As things currently stand my morning routine is just me getting up early and jumping right into work. Most the time I don’t even bother brushing my hair – the benefit of working from home. As much as I enjoy hitting the ground running, I think I’d be better off adopting a much slower, thoughtful start to my morning.
Whatever I decide for a morning routine – I want this paleo lemon olive oil cake involved. And paired with a fresh pot of coffee! Or at least some type of quick bread/breakfast cake. You in?
Paleo Lemon Olive Oil Cake
The batter for this is made in one bowl and is based off my paleo zucchini bread I shared a few months back. It’s made with grain free flours, grated zucchini, fresh lemon zest, fiery ginger, honey, and of course, olive oil. It’s worth making for the smells alone.
Since we’re working with coconut flour here we need plenty of moisture to work with so our cake is not too dry. That being said, make sure you squeeze as much water out of your zucchini as you can. No soggy middles wanted here!
The type of olive oil you use is going to have an impact on the taste. Extra virgin olive oil is going to impart a much grassier/fruitier olive taste while light olive oil will be more mild. Technically, I don’t think light olive oil is considered paleo since it’s a much more refined oil. But then technically, I’m not sure our primal ancestors would have been eating cake either. Just keep that in mind when making this.
If you’re interested in a more traditionally sweet lemon cake, you may prefer trying the almond lemon & poppy seed loaf I made last year. It’s a much sweeter recipe with or without the lemon glaze. While my mother in law & I have been eating this cake like we’re getting paid for it, I think the olive oil confuses Mike. But then he’s always had a much more pronounced sweet tooth.
If I always had this to wake up to I’d definetly be savoring my morning routine a little more.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you make this paleo lemon olive oil cake. We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cup | 150 gram shredded zucchini squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can before adding to the mix
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup | 55 grams extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup | 48 grams almond flour
- 1/2 cup | 56 grams coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/178°C
- Beat the eggs in a medium sized bowl. Add the vanilla, the honey, and oil to the eggs, mixing thoroughly.
- Mix in the shredded zucchini and zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix well until no clumps remain.
- Grease your loaf pan, or line with parchment and scoop your batter into the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a knife going into the center comes out clean.
Serving size: 1 slice Calories: 232 Fat: 18 g Saturated fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 14 g Sugar: 12 g Fiber: 1 g Protein: 5 g