Mediterranean inspired Potato and Olive Stuffed Banana Peppers – hearty, filling and made with only 10 ingredients! | Paleo + Vegan + Whole30
A Whole30 compliant dinner that’s also meat free?! Yes, please!
I don’t know about you, but I find that most Whole30 meals rely a bit too much on meat as the main staple.
While I do enjoy a good, meaty main every so often, it’s just not how I like to eat most the time. So with that in mind, I’m really excited to share a whole30 main that just so happens to be totally plant focused.
On to the peppers!
How to Make: Potato and Olive Stuffed Banana Peppers
Despite the long list of ingredients these are actually made up of only 10 ingredients (plus salt & water but I don’t think those really count). These stuffed peppers are made up of two parts: the sauce and the stuffing and both of those rely mostly on the repeat ingredients.
First things first: the sauce. It’s very simple to make. Start out by sautéing your red onion for a few minutes before adding the balsamic vinegar and garlic for extra punch. Cook another minute before adding the remaining sauce ingredients and let simmer to deepen the flavour. Once the sauce beings to simmer you can start prepping peppers.
To make the potato & olive stuffing – add the filling ingredients to a hot pan and cook for about 10 minutes to lightly brown and soften. Add a little bit of the sauce you made earlier to coat and you’re ready for stuffing.
Once the peppers are stuffed and laid out in sauce coated baking dish all you need to do is bake and wait. After about 40 minutes the potatoes and peppers should be fork tender and ready to go.
If you can have dairy these are also really great with a little cheese over the top. I like it with mozzarella but I imagine both pepper jack would also be delicious. About 15 minutes before your cook time is up pull the peppers out of the over and grate some over the top. Additional cheese is always a good idea 👌
Potato and Olive Stuffed Banana Peppers
Mediterranean inspired Potato and Olive Stuffed Banana Peppers - hearty, filling and made with only 10 ingredients! | Paleo + Vegan + Whole30
- 1 tablespoon | 15 ml olive oil
- 1 medium | about 1 cup red onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 clove | about 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon |15 balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 14 oz |400 grams tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup | 120 ml water
Potato and Olive Filling
- 3 tablespooons | 45 ml olive oil
- 1 pound | 500 grams or 3-4 potatoes, cut into small pieces (about 1 cm cubes)*
- 3 cloves | about 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup | 120 grams pitted green olives
- 6 sweet pointed peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
Tomato Sauce & Peppers
- Warm the olive oil in a medium pan or skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and fry about 5-7 minutes to soften. Add the garlic and balsamic vinegar and cook for another minute or two until fragrant.
- Stir in the cumin, oregano, tomatoes and water. Reduce the heat down to a medium-low heat and let gently simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- While the tomato sauce is simmering, begin prepping your banana peppers. Using a sharp knife, cut the peppers down lengthwise starting just below the stem and all the way down to just above the point.
- Carefully pull back the sides of the peppers and pull out and discard the white membrane and seeds inside. Set aside until you're ready to stuff.
Potato & Olive Filling
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C. Lightly grease a large roasting dish large enough to fit your peppers.
- In a large skillet or frying pan warm your olive oil on a medium heat.
- When the oil is hot add the potatoes, garlic, cumin, oregano and peppers to the pan and cook for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes begin to brown.
- Add 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce you made earlier to the pan along with the olives and stir until all the potatoes are covered in sauce and the olives are mixed in well. Taste and season with salt as needed.
- Spread the remaining tomato sauce along the bottom of your prepared roasting dish. Place the peppers on top of the sauce.
- Carefully spoon the potato and olive mixture into the hollowed out peppers until full.
- Bake in the middle of the oven, uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until the potatoes and peppers are tender.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
- If you can have dairy you can sprinkle a little mozzarella over the top of the peppers about 15 minutes before cook time is up.
- If following a strict paleo diet use white flesh sweet potatoes
Leave a Review!