Cheesy egg, sausage and spinach stuffed bell peppers – an easy, low carb/keto friendly breakfast that’s made with only 8 ingredients and minimal prep! | Gluten Free + Grain Free + Low Carb
Coming at you with another low carb breakfast to start your day! One that requires little prep, few ingredients, and is packed with TONS of kick as flavour.
Let’s get to it!
How To Make: Breakfast Stuffed Bell Peppers
Pepper Prep: Start out by prepping your bell peppers: slice them in half lengthwise and cut out the inner white membrane and seeds. Arrange in a large baking dish, cut side up and set aside while you make the filling.
Filling Prep: Warm the olive oil in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add your onion and cook about 5 minutes to soften the onion. Once softened, add the sausage meat and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the spinach until wilted and then remove from the heat. In a medium sized bowl with a pouring spout or measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
Putting it all together: Spoon the sausage mixture evenly into the open bell peppers. Once ever pepper has been filled, carefully pour the eggs over the top of the sausage and then follow on with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. When you’re ready to go, pop the peppers in the oven and let cook about 30-35 minutes or until the egg filling has set and the cheese has melted and gone golden.
Other F.A.Q.’s + Tips
Is there a difference between different bell pepper colours?
Yes! While they all grow from the same plant the main difference is that red peppers are ripened the longest on the vine and green the least. Once picked bell peppers don’t really ripen any more. Red bell peppers are the sweetest, followed by yellow and orange and then finally the green peppers. Whichever you use is entirely up to you and your own personal tastes.
Which bell pepper is the healthiest?
Red peppers tend to be the most nutrient packed since they have more time to grow on the vine. They contain almost 11 times more beta-carotene and 1.5 times more vitamin C than the green.
How long do these keep?
Kept stored in an airtight container you can keep these stored in the fridge for up to four days.
Can I freeze these?
Yes! Once cooked let these cool completely before wrapping well in foil. Then just pop them in the freezer and store for up to 3 months. Keep in mind though that the peppers will be much softer after being defrosted from frozen.
Other Recipes You Might Also Enjoy:
- Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Lasagna Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Broccoli Cheddar Crustless Quiche
- Zucchini Crust Tomato Spinach & Feta Pie
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Breakfast Stuffed Bell Peppers! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
Breakfast Stuffed Bell Peppers
Cheesy egg, sausage and spinach stuffed bell peppers - an easy, low carb/keto friendly breakfast that's made with only 8 ingredients and minimal prep! | Gluten Free + Grain Free + Low Carb
- 4 large bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise and remove inner seeds and stems
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white onion
- 1 pound gluten free pork sausage, casing removed
- 2 cups spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt & pepper, each
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Arrange the bell peppers side-by-side in the greased baking dish - cut side up. Set aside
- Warm the olive oil to a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook about 5 minutes to soften. Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the spinach and cook an addition 1-2 minutes until wilted. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Spoon the sausage mixture evenly into your prepared peppers. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the sausage. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 35-40 minutes until the cheese has goldened.
Leave a Review!