Cheesy Lasagna Stuffed Peppers – low carb, grain free, filling and delicious! Dinner is ready in under an hour!
Sometimes cheese is just necessary. Lots and LOTS of cheese.
And lasagna. Saucy. Herby. Cheesy lasagna. It’s just necessary. Ya know?
Between my Mom’s lasagna’s and my Grammy’s lasagna’s I grew up with a lot of happy memories attached to all things cheesy and red. You just can’t think comfort food without thinking of lasagna.
If I were the type of person who could metabolize a plate of carbs no problem I’d be more than happy to sit down with a tray of lasagna (gluten free of course) and just have at it. Trust me, no one wants to see that.
Though I have been blessed with a lot of things in my life, a speedy metabolism is not one of those things. Damn.
If I look at it from a glass half full perspective though I suppose that’s a good thing because it forces me to think outside the box when it comes to creating recipes.
And thank goodness for that because these lasagna stuffed peppers are insanely delicious. Alternating layers of cheese and meat sauce all piled into halved bell peppers and topped with both fresh and dried herbs.
As if the cheese wasn’t a big enough selling point.
Really though. These stuffed peppers are ready in under and hour and so worth making. They are low carb, high protein, and seriously satisfying. You can also make extras, freeze them, and enjoy them on a later date. Just bake them, cool them fully, and freeze them for another time.
So worth it.
More Stuffed Pepper Recipes You Might Like
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these stuffed peppers. I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 lb . ground pork, 230 grams
- 6 oz can tomato sauce, 170 grams
- 6 oz can crushed tomatoes, 170 grams
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- small handful of basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 large bell peppers
- 1 cup ricotta Cheese, 250 grams
- 1 cup mozzarella Cheese, 113 grams, shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, 55 grams, grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
For the Meat Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the diced onions and cook a few minutes until onions become translucent. Add the garlic and cook until for a couple of minutes, stirring so that the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add in ground pork and cook until no longer pink.
- Add in tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15-20 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat to cool.
For the Peppers
- While the meat sauce is thicken begin working on the peppers. Preheat oven to 400°/200°C.
- Slice the peppers in half lengthwise and remove ribs and seeds. Place pepper halves on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes on the middle rack.
- Remove peppers from oven. Peppers have a high water content so if you find that there is a little water on sitting inside the peppers after you remove them from the oven, just drain the water and blot the insides with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle a little sea salt inside each pepper before adding the meat filling to absorb and excess moisture. Fill each pepper with ¼ cup tomato meat sauce.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese on top of the meat sauce in each pepper cup. Pour an additional 1-2 tablespoons meat sauce on top of the ricotta cheese.
- Top each pepper with 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese. Bake in the middle of your oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove peppers from oven. Top each pepper with about 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning. Bake for an 5 additional minutes on top rack or until the cheese is golden.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 326 Saturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 68mg Sodium: 498mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 8g Protein: 20g