One tray, 15 minute Almond & Herb Crusted Baked Salmon with asparagus. Ground almonds, mixed herbs, and a squeeze of lemon | Whole 30 and SCD friendly | Swap the asparagus for tomatoes and sautéed spinach to make it low FODMAP
It’s been almost exactly one year since I first shared this Almond & Herb Crusted Baked Salmon recipe.
What. A. Year.
Except back then I was still located at Empowered Kitchen using a blogspot dot com address because apparently I didn’t do a very good job scouting for a blog name that wasn’t already taken. Whoops! I was probably thinking more along the lines of – ‘I cannot spend another moment thinking up cheesy blog names so just get on with it already.’ Thus, A Saucy Kitchen was born.
That all being said there are a lot of things that have changed this past year, but one thing that hasn’t is my love for this simple baked salmon recipe. I think it’s safe to say that I’ve made this salmon more than any other dinner recipe that I’ve shared on my blog because it’s just that good.
And easy! When I say simple I’m not messing around. All you need is one baking sheet and less than 20 minutes start to finish. By the time 5 o’clock rolls around I’m just about done doing normal, productive human things and am ready to throw on a pair of leggings, take off my bra (TMI? Really though there is no greater feeling in life than that moment), and catch up on some shows.
*Doing a happy dance now that Silicon Valley and Game of Thrones is back*
Although I say I’m done being a person by 5 o’clock. In reality work/life balance is non existent when you work from home. There’s no clocking out or winding down after a day in the office because you’re always switched on. Even more reason to want a meal that’s both fast and flavorful, I suppose.
In essence this is the same recipe that I originally shared last year with a few minor tweaks. I also decided to make it more of a meal by throwing in some asparagus and maybe a little extra lemon zest. What is it about citrus and fish that makes our tastebuds sing?
I hope you enjoy this almond & herb baked salmon as much as we do!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this salmon. I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
almond herb mixture
- 1/4 cup ground almonds, 40 grams
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped, or dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped, or dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, again, can use dried
- salt & pepper to taste
salmon & asparagus
- 1/2 pound asparagus stalks*, 225 grams
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- zest & juice from 1/2 lemon
- 4 six oz salmon fillets
- Preheat oven to 400F/204C
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground almond, herbs, and the salt & pepper. Set aside for the moment.
- Spread the asparagus over a baking tray and drizzle the oil over the stalks. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt and half of the lemon zest over the asparagus and toss to coat. Push the asparagus to the sides of the baking tray to make room for the salmon.
- Lay the salmon fillets skin side down across the tray. Squeeze the lemon juice over the salmon pieces and then spoon the almond and herb mixture evenly over the fish. Top with the remaining lemon zest and lemon slices.
- Roast at 204C/400F for 10-12 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
If your asparagus stalks are large than the size of a standard pencil then you'll need to slice the stalks in half lengthwise to make sure that they cook through completely in time with the salmon