Arugula Fennel & Smoked Salmon Salad with radish, cucumber, oranges, and avocado topped in a simple orange vinaigrette | Paleo + Gluten Free
My recent trip to London a few weeks back found my friends and I staying at an Airbnb in Whitechapel. While we didn’t end up spending too much time in that area, we did find our way to a cozy little restaurant up the road from where were staying called The Stable where we split a couple of pizzas, a cider sampler and a salad that inspired this recipe that I’m sharing today.
I don’t think there are many things I would have enjoyed more in that moment after such a long day on my feet in the cold.
But then again when it pizza and cider ever not a good idea?
While the pizza was great this salad was especially on point.
It was simple, fresh, and most importantly for my tastes – crunchy.
About this Recipe: Arugula Fennel & Smoked Salmon Salad
Peppery arugula combined with crisp fennel slices, cucumber, radish, oranges, avocado and smoked salmon slices all dressed in a bright and tangy orange vinaigrette.
This would be great as a side salad to a more filling meal, or perfect if you’re looking for a light lunch to tide you over until your next meal. You’ll be getting a decent dose of healthy fats from both the avocado & smoked salmon – a little brain food if you’re into that kind of thing.
It takes no more than 15 minutes to make and is easy to prepare. I do recommend waiting to assemble your salad until just before serving, but you can always prep your veggies & mix your dressing before hand if you like to plan ahead.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Arugula Fennel & Smoked Salmon Salad! I love seeing what you make with! You can also post your pictures to our facebook page!
- 4 cups arugula/rocket, loosley packed
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 100 grams | 3.5 ounces smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into slices
- 1/2 cup radishes, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon dijion mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- pinch of black pepper
- Combine all of your dressing ingredients to a small glass or jar and whisk until mixed. If using a jar just screw on the lid and shake. Set aside in the fridge until needed
- To make the salad just add everything to a large salad bowl and toss to combine. Drizzle the dressing on as needed and toss again to coat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
This makes for two large salads or four small side salads
How to cut fennel:
Cut off the ends of your bulb including the stalks on the top. If your fennel still has the leafy fronds on the end of the stalks you can save those to add to your salad.
Cut your fennel into two lengthwise through the top of your bulb. If the outer layer of bulb feels rubbery or grimy peel off that layer.
Lay the two halves facing down on the cutting board and slice the fennel into thin slices for this recipe.