Spring Quinoa Pea & Asparagus Salad | Bright flavours and crunchy textures – only ten ingredients needed to make this simple, speedy salad! Gluten Free + Vegetarian
First things first: how was your Easter weekend??
And if you don’t do Easter – how was your (hopefully) extended weekend??
I hope it was filled with relaxation, chocolate, and all kinds of other tasty foods…really though, I’d hope that was true no matter what time of year it is.
And in case you might have over indulged just a touch in the peanut butter egg department, this Spring Quinoa Pea & Asparagus Salad is just the thing you need in your life.
🍃easy to make
🍃packed full of veggies, protein, and general goodness
🍃fresh, Fresh, FRESH
How to Make: Spring Quinoa Pea & Asparagus Salad
This salad is suuuper easy to make and made with about 10 total ingredients. At most it takes about 20 minutes to make, but if you prep your quinoa ahead of time or use pre made/store bought you can cut down cooking time to basically half that.
The asparagus needs only about 3-4 minutes to cook in boiling water – the idea is to cook until it’s tender but still firm. In the last minute or two of the asparagus cooking just toss in the frozen peas and then you’re good to go.
When the quinoa and the veg and ready to go it’s mostly just a matter of quickly tossing your salad ingredients together in a bowl to combine. Throw in fresh arugula for a bit of pepperiness, feta for for it’s creamy tang, and walnuts for the always necessary crunch factor.
In a small bowl make your vinaigrette by simply whisking it all together until it’s just slightly emulsified and then drizzle it all over for a fresh and punchy finish.
Nothing to it!
This is kind of the perfect salad to have in between eating pieces left chocolate from the weekend…you know…balance!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Spring Quinoa Pea & Asparagus Salad! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 cup | 180 grams uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 pound | 450 grams asparagus, tough ends cut off and then cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups | 220 grams frozen peas
- 2 cups | 40 grams arugula
- 1/2 cup | 2 oz. feta cheese
- 1/2 cup | 62 grams walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup | 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons | 30 ml lemon juice
- 1 large clove, , about 1 heaped teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt & pepper each
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook 2 minutes. Add the frozen peas and cook another 1-2 minutes until the asparagus is firm, but tender and the peas are no longer frozen. Drain and run under cold water to stop it from cooking further. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl toss all of the salad ingredients together to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinaigrette until slightly emulsified. Drizzle over the salad and toss to mix. Season the salad with a little more salt and pepper as needed and enjoy!
If your asparagus stalks are extra thick feel free to cut them in half
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g