Chopped farm salad with quinoa and loaded garden greens, radish, cucumber, cabbage, carrot avocado, feta and topped with an easy orange vinaigrette. Inspired by the Zinburger Farm Salad.
There’s nothing quite like catching up with old friends over wine and an assortment of fries. Truffle fries. Sweet potato fries. Baked potato fries. Zucchini fries. Just give me ALL the fries already!
I’m not here to talk about wine or fries today though…at least not yet. But that’s okay because this salad, inspired by the chopped farm salad from Zinburger, makes up for that fact.
In between sips of wine,
pestering eagerly questioning my friend, Erin, on life updates (re: possible love interests) and bemoaning over typical problems that every 20-something goes through (#TheStruggleIsReal) I was shoveling down bites of my loaded farm salad. Going to a burger and wine bar you might think that the burger part would be obligatory, but I couldn’t pass up opting for such a loaded and colorful dish. Plus, ordering a salad as a main totally made up for the carb loading that took place 5 minutes earlier….right? Let’s just say yes.
Seriously though, I am happy to recognize that as the years go on, my taste buds continue to mature. At one point in time I would have looked at this salad and picked apart every ingredient that I thought I didn’t like. Now I look at this salad and see texture, flavor, and freshness – all things that my tastes buds and my body craves. Cucumber, radish, carrot, cabbage: crunch factor high, health factor even better.
This salad is easy to throw together, just wash, chop, and toss. Though depending on your method (by hand or with food processor) the chopping may take some time, but it is a labor of love well worth it.
Instead of using a champagne dressing I made an orange vinaigrette instead based off of the lemon one that I use in my bacon and brussels sprout salad. I also just realized that the original Zinburger version also had garbanzo beans, so feel free to add a can of chickpeas to further bulk this out and I promise it will be amazing.
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce , chopped
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce , chopped
- 1/2 head red cabbage , chopped
- 1 bunch radishes (about 12), chopped
- 1 cucumber , chopped
- 3 carrots , chopped
- 1 avocado , cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , chopped (149 grams)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (150 grams)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (185 grams)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (177 ml)
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange (125 ml)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small jar with a lid add the oil, orange juice, crushed garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover the jar and shake until combined and then place in the fridge until you're ready to use it.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, red lettuce, cabbage, radishes, cucumber, carrots, avocado, tomatoes, quinoa and feta. Toss to combine. Toss with enough dressing to coat and season to taste with a little salt and pepper if necessary. Save the remaining dressing for other salads, or on the side.
Latest posts by Sarah (see all)
- Low FODMAP Maple Mustard Chicken with Rosemary - January 15, 2018
- Paleo Sweet Potato Lasagna with Almond Ricotta & Basil Pesto - January 12, 2018
- Potato and Olive Stuffed Banana Peppers - January 8, 2018