Chopped pan fried chicken, red bell pepper, onion and avocado tossed together with black beans and corn in a bed of salad greens and drizzled with a creamy tahini lime dressing – creamy and crunchy textures come together to make a fresh, filling and delicious salad made in no time! | Gluten Free + Dairy Free
Chopped Southwest Chicken Salad
There’s just something about a good chicken salad that really hits the spot and this salad is no exception.
It’s got a medley of creamy-crunchy textures, sweet, sharp and savoury flavours tossed together in a bright and colourful bed of good-for-you foods.
This salad packs in a healthy serving of protein and fibre to keep you satisfied and full into your next meal. You can enjoy it as a healthy lunch or a light dinner.
Feel free to spruce it up with some added cheese. Cojita, feta and grated cheddar are all great options here. I also recommend turning this salad into a taco bowl with a some tortilla chips and rice like this Mexican Red Rice. Or if you want to keep it lower carb this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower would be a great mix in.
Don’t forget to @asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Chopped Southwest Chicken Salad! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons gluten free soy sauce/tamari
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cup corn
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- To make the dressing add all of the ingredients to a small bowl or jar and whisk until combined. Taste and season as you see fit.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so that you end up with 4 thin chicken breast fillets. Generously salt each side of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to a large pan and warm over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook each side about 4-5 minutes and then flip over and cook another 2-3 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and chop into bite sized pieces
- Place the salad greens in a large salad bowl and top with diced pepper, onion, corn, black beans, chicken and avocado. Toss until well combined and then drizzle the tahini dressing over the top, tossing once more to coat the salad in dressing and serve.
Leftovers will keep 3-4 days. If you plan on making this salad ahead of time I recommend waiting to add the avocado until just before serving so it doesn't brown too quickly.