Created in 1953 in honour of Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation, this creamy chicken dish has easily become a classic. This Coronation Chicken is made with a Greek yoghurt and mayo sauce seasoned with curry powder, mango chutney and lemon juice. Chopped celery and toasted almonds are thrown in to the mix for some much needed added crunch to balance out all the creamy textures. Poach your own chicken in a cumin, ginger and stock blend for an even more flavour packed experience or use leftover cooked chicken for a quick and easy alternative! Enjoy on its own as a side salad or as a filling for sandwiches, wraps or baked potatoes.
If you’re unfamiliar with what Coronation Chicken is – think chicken salad but with more interesting spices. Much like standard chicken salad it’s typically made with a creamy, mayo-based sauce but with added herbs and spices like curry powder, chutney and (like this one) maybe even a little dash of cayenne.
Altogether is fairly easy to make. Making this salad is mostly just a matter of chopping up a few herbs and veggies before mixing everything together in a big salad bowl.
When it comes to the chicken you have the option of either:
- Chop up or shred leftover, precooked chicken.
- Poach a few chicken breasts specifically for this salad. This option does of course take a little more time, but still little effort overall.
Once you’re done you can enjoy this on it’s own as a side salad or as a filling for sandwiches, wraps or baked potatoes.
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Coronation Chicken! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
This Coronation Chicken is made with a Greek yoghurt and mayo sauce seasoned with curry powder, mango chutney and lemon juice. Chopped celery and toasted almonds are thrown in to the mix for some much needed added crunch to balance out all the creamy textures.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2-3 slices ginger, about 1 cm thick
- 1 bay leaf
- chicken stock (or water) - enough to cover the chicken
- 1/2 cup (142 g) Greek Yoghurt
- 1/2 cup (115 g) mayonnaise
- 2 spring onions, diced
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 2 tbsp (65 g) mango chutney
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (45 g) toasted flaked almonds
- 3 tbsp cilantro/fresh coriander chopped
- Pinch of cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- Place the chicken in a single layer in a large pot. Add the cumin seeds, peppercorn, ginger slices and bay leaf to the pot and cover with chicken stock (or water). Add enough stock/water to cover the chicken by about 2 inches.
- Bring the pot to a boil and let boil for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat down to a simmer and let simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered. Turn off the heat, cover the pot with a fitted lid and let the chicken sit for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and transfer to a large cutting board. Use a couple of forks to shred the chicken into small chunks, set aside until you're ready to add it to the salad.
- In a large bowl mix together all of the salad ingredients except for the cilantro until well combined. Add the chicken and cilantro and mix once more. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed and enjoy!
- Serve as a sandwich filling, in lettuce wraps or on its own.
- Instead of poaching your chicken: You can use 3 cups precooked chopped or shredded chicken.
Leave a Review!