15 minute, Chinese style Stir Fried Green Beans with onion, garlic, ginger
Gluten Free + Vegan + Paleo Option
Green beans were made to be stir fried. Although wrapping them in bacon is arguably a close second, if not just as good. What do you think?
At any rate, stir frying is definitely a solid choice. Cooking the beans quickly keeps them tender and crunchy with very little effort or time needed. Let’s get to it!
How to Make: Stir Fried Green Beans
Altogether this recipe is pretty simply requiring only 8 ingredients and about 15 minutes to make.
A few of tips to keep in mind before your start:
- When looking to buy beans try breaking a green bean in half first. If it snaps in half easily then you’re good to go. If your green bean bends and is a bit rubbery when breaking your beans are no longer fresh.
- Heat up the oil fully before frying.
- Prep all of your veggies before you start cooking. Stir frys are meant to be cook hot and fast. Have everything prepped and ready to go to keep things moving along.
Start out by heat up your oil until it’s nice and hot. It’s important to choose a heat stable oil that doesn’t easily smoke for frying – something like avocado oil is a great option if you prefer avoiding vegetable oils or want to make this more paleo friendly.
Heat the oil in large wok on high. To test when your oil is ready get your fingers wet with a little bit of water and flick into the oil. When the oil sizzles when hit with water droplets it’s hot enough.
Once the oil is hot toss in your green beans (cut into 1-2 inch long pieces), sliced onions, ginger and garlic. Cook for about 7 or so minutes, stirring frequently.
Add in the soy sauce, tamari, sugar and sesame oil and cook another few minutes until the sugar and soy will begin to caramelise.
In the end you want your green beans to be both crisp and tender – tender enough to easily be able to pierce with a fork while still slightly crunch when bitten in to.
And that’s it! Crispy, tender, garlicky Stir Fried Green Beans. Enjoy this alongside your favourite homemade Chinese dishes like this Ginger & Spring Onion Chicken.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try making these Stir Fried Green Beans! I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or another neutral flavoured oil)
- 1 pound fresh green beans, washed, ends trimmed & cut into 2 inch peices
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large wok over a high heat. Get your fingers wet with a little bit of water and flick into the oil. When the oil sizzles when hit with water droplets it's hot enough.
- Add the green beans, onion, ginger and garlic to the wok. Cook on high for about 7 minutes, stirring.
- Add the soy/tamari, sugar and sesame oil. Continue to cook another 2-3 minutes until the sugar starts to caramelise. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Serve immediately.
Make it Paleo: Use coconut aminos instead of soy and increase the salt. Use coconut sugar or honey instead of the regular sugar.
Make sure to prep all of your veggies before you start cooking. Stir frys are meant to be cook hot and fast. Have everything prepped and ready to go to keep things moving along.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Saturated Fat: 1gSodium: 511mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g