Five ingredient Sweet Potato Hash Browns – Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside! Easy to make with minimal prep needed. Enjoy as a simple breakfast side of serve as an appetiser with your favourite dip! Gluten Free + Paleo + Whole30
Oh, hey! Just coming at you today with yet another reason to look forward to breakfast:
SWEET POTATO HASH BROWNS.
So let’s not waste any time and just get right into it!
How to Make: Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Altogether these sweet potato hash browns are pretty easy to make with only five ingredients needed – all of which are probably things you already have on hand:
✔️Sweet Potatoes – our star ingredient
✔️Egg White + Starch – helps with binding & crispiness
✔️Salt + Paprika – a little seasoning & spice
The most challenging task here will be grating your sweet potato with a standard box grater to get it ready. A little arm workout before breakfast, anyone?
If it’s available to you however I recommend using a a food processor with the grating blade to get this part done in under a minute.
Once your sweet potato is grated and ready to go the rest is fairly simple and should be done in no time. After squeezing out the excess water in the potatoes (more on that below) it’s really just a matter of mixing everything together and then frying in a little bit of coconut oil.
Tips for success:
- Squeeze out the water. Before mixing everything together make sure you take the time to squeeze out as much excess moisture from the sweet potatoes as you can. Wrap up the grated potato in a kitchen towel and wring out the water. Not much will come out but doing this will make for crispier hash browns in the end.
- Use nonstick. Save yourself the headache and make sure to use a non stick pan or a well seasoned cast iron for easier flipping and crisping.
- Make it hot. If the oil isn’t hot when adding your hash browns you just won’t get that crunchy exterior. To test if it’s hot enough get the tips of your fingers slightly wet and flick off a few drips of water in the oil. When the oil sizzles from the water it’s hot enough and ready to use.
- Cool on wire racks. Once cooked transfer the hash browns to a wire rack to cool and stay crispy. If you just pile them all on a plate the heat and steam will soften them up before your even able to enjoy them.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Sweet Potato Hash Browns! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 3 cups lightly packed | about 300 grams grated sweet potatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or tapioca starch , (can use corn if not paleo)
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil for frying
- Wrap up the grated sweet potato in a kitchen towel and squeeze out all the moisture you can. Not much will be removed but doing this will make for crispier hash browns.
- Add the sweet potato to a medium sized mixing bowl along with the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Warm 1 tablespoon coconut oil to a large non stick skillet or seasoned cast iron on a medium heat. Get the tips of your fingers wet and flick into the oil - when the oil sizzles the pan is hot even to use.
- Scoop out two tablespoons of your potato mixture at a time and gently drop into the hot oil. Use a spatula to flatten out the hash browns. They should be about 3-4 inches round in diameter. The flatter your hash browns the crispier they will be.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy before flipping and cooking the another 2-3 minutes on the other side until golden and crispy. Remove from the heat and let cool on a wire rack until complete. Repeat the cook process until done. Make sure to add more oil as needed.