Herby One Pan Chicken with Oranges – chicken thighs and drumsticks marinated in an easy herb and citrus packed marinade and baked in one pan! | Gluten Free + Paleo + Whole30 + Low Carb
Alright, we have officially entered into 2019!
I said the same exact thing last year but it still applies so I’ll say it again:
New month, new year, new reason to recommit to eating healthy again after all the holiday binging. I ate so many cookies last month. It was equal parts disgusting and glorious and I have precisely zero shame about that.
That all being said I’m more than looking forward to getting back to the swing of daily life with a little more focus and a lot more healthy eating.
Which brings us to this Herby One Pan Chicken with Oranges: juicy chicken pieces coated in a bright and zingy herb and citrus packed marinade baked to juicy perfection. It’s
✔️Low carb/keto friendly with only 4 carbs per serving (2 chicken pieces!)
✔️Super easy to make with minimal prep involved
Let’s get into it!
Herby One Pan Chicken with Oranges Prep
The only real prep involved here is the making of the marinade which essentially just comes down to throwing all of your ingredients in a blender and whizzing up your herbs are chopped fine.
Aside from removing the skin off the garlic cloves and maybe removing the seeds and inner membrane on your chili pepper you don’t even need to worry about chopping or cutting because it’s all going to get blended up anyway.
Once blended, pour the marinade over the top of your raw chicken and toss to coat. At this point all you need to do is cover and let marinate for 12-36 hours so the chicken has time to soak in all the herby flavours.
Freezing Tip: You can freeze the raw chicken (that’s never been frozen before) coated in marinade for up to 6 months. Defrost overnight in the freezer and cook when ready. This is especially useful if you’re into batch cooking and meal prep.
When you’re ready to cook simply add the chicken pieces skin side up to a baking sheet, add a few orange slices if using and bake. The tops should crisp up in the oven while middles and bottoms stay juicy and tender as it cooks in its own juices and marinade.
And that’s it! Here’s to a new year full of easy to make, delicious food!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Herby One Pan Chicken with Oranges! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 2 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and/or drumsticks, (about 8 pieces)
- 1 orange cut into wedges, optional
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, leaves & stems included
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, leaves & stems included
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, (no stems)
- 5 large cloves garlic
- 2 stalks spring onions,, ends cut off
- 1 green chili pepper, (remove the seeds to tone down on spice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Add the marinade ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until the herbs are finely chopped.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and let marinate for 12-36 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400° F/205°C. Lightly oil a large baking sheet with rimmed edges.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet skin side up. Add orange wedges if using. Place into oven and roast for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165° F. Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until the chicken is caramelised and slightly charred on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Freezing Tip: You can freeze the raw chicken (that's never been frozen before) coated in marinade for up to 6 months. Defrost overnight in the freezer and cook when ready.
Serving Size:pieces of chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470 Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 115mg Sodium: 1023mg Carbohydrates: 4g Sugar: 1g Protein: 29g