Fresh ingredients make for big flavors in this simple yet delicious Tomato Garlic Basil Chicken! Paleo + Low Carb
Savoury things! Actual food you can eat for dinner!
I mean, it’s not like I’ve only posted sweet things for the past two weeks or anything, but…..
This recipe is super easy to make!
Everything comes together in one skillet (unless you count chopping boards) for easy clean up so you can spend more time enjoying your food and less time washing dishes.
Taking advantage of all the summer produce I like to serve this alongside spiralized zucchini noodles, but you could always make your favourite spaghetti if you’d prefer that.
I like my zoodles with a little bite to them so I usually wait to add the zoodles to the sauce until the very end so that I can mix them around just long enough to warm through but not long enough for them to go soft.
I hope you enjoy this chicken as much as we did!
Tomato Garlic Basil Chicken
Fresh ingredients make for big flavors in this simple yet speedy Tomato Garlic Basil Chicken!
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound or 450 g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15 oz | 400 g can Italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- one handful fresh basil, about 1 cup loosely packed, loosely packed, cut into ribbons
- 4 medium zucchini, courgette, spiralized into spaghetti-like noodles
- Cover the chicken with plastic wrap and pound each piece to an even thickness all around (about one inch or so in the thickest parts). This will help the chicken cook faster and more evenly. I like to use the bottom of a sauce pan to pound the chicken. Once done, sprinkle each side with a little salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet. Place over a medium-hight until warm. Add the chicken to the hot pan and fry each side about 5-7 minutes on each side until browned. Internal temperature should read 165°F or 74°C. Once cooked through, remove it from the skillet and set aside on plate or cutting board for later.
- In the same skillet: add remaining olive oil and onion. Sauté over a medium heat for about 8-10 minutes to soften. Stir every so often.
- Add garlic and sauté another minute until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Stir and cook about 10-12 minutes as the tomatoes breakdown. Allow the juices to simmer. Stir often and cook until the juices thicken up into a chunky sauce. Stir in the basil.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet along with the zoodles. Turn off the heat and place a fitten lid over the top. Given the chicken and zoodles a couple of minutes to warm and soak up the sauce.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed and serve.
Leave a Review!