This tomato and basil garlic chicken is a quick, easy and flavour packed dish that you can have ready on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Savoury things! Actual food you can eat for dinner!
I mean, it’s not like I’ve only posted sweet things for the past two weeks or anything, but…..
What are your thoughts? Are you a chicken fiend like my husband or you more on the ‘meh’ side?
Personally I’m pretty ‘meh’ on the subject of chicken. I know it’s everyone’s favourite source of protein, but I think my dad spoiled me with sirloin steaks and pork ribs growing up. Thanks for ruining BBQ for me dad….no really, thank you!
So when I do eat chicken I do everything in my culinary ability to make it anything but boring. The cool thing about food and cooking is that you don’t always need a lot of ingredients to make a dish shine. A few key ingredients go a long way in flavouring a dish and this chicken is proof! Chicken, coated in a tomato herb and garlic sauce is anything but boring.
Making this chicken is super easy! Everything is done in one skillet (unless you count chopping boards) for easy clean up so you can spend more time enjoying your food and less time washing dishes.
Taking advantage of all the summer produce I like to serve this alongside Spiralized (<—affiliate link) zucchini noodles, but you could always make your favourite spaghetti if you’d prefer that. I like my zoodles with a little bite to them so I usually wait to add the zoodles to the sauce until the very end so that I can mix them around just long enough to warm through but not long enough for them to go soft.
I hope you enjoy this chicken as much as we did!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this tomato basil garlic chicken recipe! I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 lb . boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5 ounce can Italian chopped tomatoes
- one handful fresh basil, about 1 cup loosely packed, loosely packed, cut into ribbons
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium zucchini, courgette, spiralized into spaghetti-like noodles
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cover the chicken with plastic wrap and pound each piece to an even thickness all around, about one inch or so in the thickest parts. This will help the chicken cook faster and more evenly. I like to use the bottom of a sauce pan to pound the chicken. Once done, sprinkle each side with a little salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoons of the olive oil to a large skillet, until warm. Add the chicken and pan fry each side for several minutes until browned.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and browned remove it from the skillet and set aside on a separate plate for the time.
- Using the same skillet add the rest of the olive oil and being sautéing the onion until it becomes soft, about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and sautee for another minute or so. Add the tomatoes and basil to the skillet and season with the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and reduces. Make sure to stir occasionally.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet along with the zoodles to soak in the sauce a few minutes before. serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251 Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 72mg Sodium: 297mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 27g