These sausage stuffed, cheesy zucchini pizza boats make for a quick and satisfying, low carb dinner. Low FODMAP, gluten free, and paleo option
It had to be done. Zucchini pizza boats are one band wagon food that I’m more than happy to be a part of. In fact, all for anything involving pizza. Carbs plus cheese are a recipe for perfection in my book. #math Unfortunately carbs plus cheese also add up to something a bit different on the scale, which is why I’m all about these low carb zucchini pizza boats as a slightly healthier alternative to enjoy one of life’s greatest comfort foods.
I think zucchini might just be one of my favorite foods. Not because of the taste or anything – zucchini is about 95% water if I remember correctly so it doesn’t exactly have much flavor anyways. The great thing about zucchini is that you can do just about a n y t h i n g with it. You can put it in cake, you can make really delicious and savory fritters out of them, you can use it in place of pasta as noodles, and it also makes for a really pretty topping on quiches/pies. It just takes the taste of whatever you flavor it with making it a really easy way to get in some extra veggies. And let’s face it – eating ungodly amounts of cheese is totally cancelled out when it’s sitting inside a vegetable….right?
Have I mentioned yet how easy these are to make? Ready in 30 minutes or less with only a few basic ingredients these can be yours in no time at all. Skip the cheese (or sub dairy free cheese) to make it dairy free/paleo if you’d like. I made a few sad, cheese-less ones for Mike and I’m happy to say that they didn’t taste even the slightest bit sad. In fact, it tasted the exact opposite of sad- the larger bit if zucchini chunks that I carved out from the inside were reminiscent of bow tie pasta, so that’s definitely happening again.
So there you go. Another reason why zucchini clearly has no chill and why you should skip on over to the store/your garden and get a little more zucchini in your life.
- 4 large zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces gluten free sausage with the casing removed*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil (a few leaves)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (385 grams) marinara sauce**
- 2/3 cup (75 grams) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Cut each zucchini in half horizontally, then carefully scoop out the center of the zucchini, leaving about 1/2-inch of zucchini on the skin. Place the scooped out insides into a medium sized bowl and gently pat with a paper towel to get rid of a bit of the excess water.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat and cook the sausage until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks.
- Add the sausage, oregano, basil, salt and pepper, and marinara to the bowl with the zucchini bits.
- Add the marinara mixture to each zucchini and sprinkle with mozzarella over the top. Place into oven and bake until the zucchini is tender and the cheese has melted, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Black Farmer Sausage is a great gluten free choice for those living in the UK
*If you need to make this low FODMAP make sure to get a marinara that's free of onion and garlic