Humble ingredients make for big flavours in this super simple one-pot meal. This dish is great to make when you don’t have much in the house. In just about 30 minutes you’ll see how a couple of canned goods can be transformed into a healthy, hearty and delicious meal. You can even serve this stirred into cooked pasta for an even more filling option! | Gluten Free + Vegan
Summer is in full swing which means zucchini season is here and I’m ready for it!
It’s been about a month now since my cookbook Effortless Vegan first came out in the US and a few days since it’s been out in the UK so I thought I’d share another quick and easy recipe from the book! With all of the zucchini sitting around this Zucchini and Cannellini Tomato Stew seemed like the perfect fit – so let’s get to it!
How to Make this Zucchini and Cannellini Tomato Stew
Altogether this dish is made up of only 8 ingredients, is prepared in one pot and will be ready in about 30 minutes.
Simply start out by cooking the onion, garlic and zucchini together in a bit of olive oil for about five minutes until the onions have softened.
Next, add in the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and let cook for about 10-15 minutes until the mixtures has thickened into a more sauce-like consistency.
Stir in the cannelini beans and let them cook in the sauce for a few minutes to heat through before adding a big handful of spinach. Let everything cook a couple of minutes until the spinach has wilted and that’s it! Taste and season with a little salt as needed.
How to Serve This?
I recommend serving this stew with a sprinkling of vegan parmesan and maybe a piece of crusty gluten free vegan French bread to go along side to mop up all the sauce.
For an even more filling dish you can always boil a bit of pasta as this cooks to mix into the sauce once it’s done!
More Ways to Cook Zucchini
If you’re still hungry for more delicious summer squash, make sure to check out my list of 55+ gluten free zucchini recipes!
- Sautéed Corn & Courgette Salad
- Ricotta Zucchini Fritters & Tomato Caper Salsa
- Tomato & Feta Pie with a Zucchini Crust (Vegetarian)
- Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna Spirals
- Raw Peanut Zoodle Salad
- Paleo Zucchini Bread
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (160 g) chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp (9 g) garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 (15-oz [425-g]) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 (15-oz [425-g]) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 big handful spinach
- Salt if needed
- Vegan Parmasean for topping, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and zucchini. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes,
or until onion is soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes and vegetable stock. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the sauce reduces down and thickens. Make sure to stir every so often to keep the bottom from burning.
- Stir in the cannellini beans and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and stir in until it’s just wilted. Taste and season with salt as needed. Sprinkle over a little vegan parm (if using) and enjoy!