Chocolate Chip and Oat Zucchini Cookies – a quick and easy one bowl recipe! Gluten Free, Vegan & Low FODMAP
Ok let’s be real for a moment here: Zucchini is super boring.
“I really love the flavor this zucchini adds to this dish” said no one ever.
And it’s because it’s such a boring, nondescript vegetable that I love it so much. Zucchini allows for complete carte blanche to do whatever you please. It’s like tofu in that way – it just takes the flavor of everything else. Turn it into pasta, throw it into cakes, toss a punchy dressing over the top and call it a day.
I especially love baking with zucchini because of how much moisture it offers – especially in gluten free baking when a little extra moisture is always helpful.
So I guess what I should really be saying is that it’s simultaneously the most boring and most exciting vegetable there is. You feel me?
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Zucchini Cookies
This recipe is adapted from the Nestle Toll House Zucchini-Oat Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies. It’s gluten, dairy, and egg free. In place of regular all purpose flour I used my new favorite homemade gluten free flour blend that I’ve started using in all my baking. You can of course use your favorite gluten free flour blend in its place without issue.
I decided to make this version egg free so I used a flax egg, but if you’re ok with eating eggs feel free to swap it out as you would normally for baking.
If you’ve never made a flax egg before I made a video showing you how to do it. I avoided using vegan egg substitutes for a long time because they intimidated me but I’ve since realized that flax eggs really are a no brainer. As long as your recipe only calls for 1-2 eggs it works well as a binder, but I wouldn’t use it as an egg substitute if the eggs are needed for adding volume in a recipe.
As if you needed another reason to love zucchini!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these zucchini cookies! I’d love to see what you make with it! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened | 104 grams
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar | 150 grams
- 1 flax egg egg* see notes if you don’t know how to make a flax egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini | 210 grams, 1 medium zucchini for me
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour | 210 grams
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup certified gluten free quick oats | 90 grams
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips | 175 grams
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 180°C and lightly grease or line your baking sheets.
- In a medium sized bowl beat together your coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat in the flax egg until combined. Add the shredded zucchini.
- Gradually beat in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon & oats.
- Stir the chocolate chips in.
- Drop dollops of cookie dough onto the lined baking sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the sides are lightly browned and crispy. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack.
Adapted from Nestle How to make a flax egg: combine 1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons cold water. Whisk together and place in the fridge for about 15 minutes. You should end up with a gel like substance. You can substitute the flax egg for a regular egg and coconut oil for butter if you'd like.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 272 Saturated Fat: 11g Sodium: 68mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 14g Protein: 3g