Asian Cucumber Sesame Salad: Bright flavours and crunchy textures!
This salad is the blend of salty and tangy flavors with bright colors and flavors. Between the carrots and the cucumber I’m loving the crunch you get in every bite. It’s been a couple months now and I’m still in love with my Spiralizer because I’ve been able to make sooo many fresh and healthy zoodle recipes like this one. If you don’t have a Spiralizer yet though you can still make this by using a julienne peeler in its place.
So here’s to eating well and doing what we can for ourselves in the little ways that we can. Enjoy!
- 2 large seedless cucumbers
- 2 large carrots
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, white or black
- 1 green onion sliced, use the green part only for low FODMAP
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice, about half a lime
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Aminos for paleo, or gluten free soy sauce/tamari
- 1 tablespoons maple , can sub with honey or sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- more salt to taste if needed
- Trim the ends of the cucumber and spiralize the cucumbers or use a julienne peeler. Place the sliced cucumbers in a colander and toss them with the 1 teaspoon of salt. Let the cucumbers sit in the colander in the sink for at least 5 minutes to draw out excess water/moisture..
- While the cucumber is sitting, spiralize or peel the carrots and chop the sweet peppers. You can also use this time to prepare the dressing.
- Once the cucumber has drained for 15 minutes, spread them out on a layer of paper towels, or a clean dish towel, and gently pat out as much moisture as you can.
- Place the cucumber noodles, carrots, and pepper in mixing bowl large enough to hold the salad. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing and toss to combine, coating the salad. Top with the sliced green onion, sesame seeds, and cilantro and serve immediately.
This salad is best eaten on the day of. If you do save some for later make sure to store in an airtight container and you may need to drain some water before eating.