This decadent five ingredient Chocolate Orange Ice Cream is gluten free, dairy free, paleo and vegan – ideal recipe for a warm summer’s day!
Being a food blogger’s husband has a number of perks:
- There’s always an abundance of tasty things to snack on
- the house smells amazing more often than not
and last but not least:
- the ability to suggest recipes in an entirely self-serving fashion.
In case you didn’t know, I love anything that combines chocolate with orange. It’s such an amazing combination and I’ll fight anyone who tries to tell me otherwise. Well, maybe not fight, but I’d strongly disagree with them at the very least!
My love for chocolate orange has its roots in my childhood. When I was younger, one of the things I’d look forward to every Christmas would be the Terry’s Chocolate Orange that’d be sat at the bottom of my stocking. It’s safe to say my breakfast choices on Christmas day weren’t the most sensible in my younger years. Unfortunately, soon after I was diagnosed I realised that Terry’s Chocolate Orange’s aren’t safe for coeliacs. 🙁 All the sad faces in the world couldn’t accurately convey my disappointment when I found that out.
Luckily for me, I needn’t have worried. This chocolate orange ice cream fills the Terry’s shaped hole in my heart and then some.
About This Recipe
This chocolate orange ice cream recipe has been a long time coming. Given my love for homemade ice cream I’ve made variations on this recipe more times than I can count. I used to use coconut milk, cacao powder, honey and orange zest, and it was pretty damn good. But with that said, this version that Sarah’s put together blows mine right out of the water. The soaked cashews add a layer of texture and creaminess that wasn’t there before and the orange oil takes the whole thing up another notch entirely.
If you don’t have cashews or orange oil to hand, don’t worry. If you subsitute the orange oil for orange zest and skip the cashews you’ll still be able to make a very tasty ice cream. I used to make it this way in our ice cream maker and it’d always come out nicely. The one downside to that recipe was the fact that it’d freeze solid (and I mean solid!) when we’d transfer it to the freezer, so it might take some time to defrost if you do go down that route. Actually, if you want to avoid the whole freezer issue thing entirely, you can always follow in my footsteps and eat the whole lot in one go. It’s good for the soul, believe me.
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this chocolate orange ice cream! We love to see what you make with it! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, 400 ml
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, or honey for non vegan version
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Food Grade Orange Oil or zest from 1 orange
- Drain the cashews and add all of the ingredients to a high powdered like this one and blend for about 1 minute on a medium-high speed. Scrape down the sides and blend for another 15 seconds or until you have a smooth mixture.
- Transfer the ice cream base to an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufactures instructions - it should take about 30 - 40 minutes.
- Enjoy the ice cream as a soft serve or cover and transfer the ice cream to a loaf tin or freezer safe container and freeze for another couple of hours until it's more solid.
- Before serving let the ice cream sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes to thaw before scooping and serving.
- Enjoy within a week.
prep time does not include soaking the cashews I like to pop a can of coconut milk in the fridge the day before I make this ice cream to make the churning process faster.
Serving Size:g Calories: 340
This post contains affiliate links. I only post links for products I personally use and believe in. If you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of my links, I receive a small commission and the price you pay is not affected. Thank you!