An easy one pot dish for Cilantro Lime Shrimp and Rice that’s ready in 30 minutes or less.
I love the tradition of sharing recipes.
I think it’s so cool that food blogs and recipe sharing sites make it so easy to find and share recipes that you may never have thought of before.
That being said, word of mouth recipe sharing is one of my favorite things. It’s like a game of telephone. No matter how descriptive the recipe may be there’s a fairly good chance that it’s going to be a completely different recipe that the original. At least that’s almost certainly the case with this cilantro lime shrimp & rice recipe that my mom gave me.
Of course, I wouldn’t be my mothers daughter if I didn’t disregard recipe amounts and instructions to be more suggestion than anything else.
Now that I think of it that’s probably why my mom never really cared for baking as much. You can’t exactly get away with eyeing out 3 cups of flour and 1 cup of butter and expect everything to turn out alright.
Cooking however is another beast altogether and personally I love it when recipes get tweaked here and there to suit each person.
I’d love to know what this original recipe was just to see how my mom adapted it originally and how I adapted my mom’s version. Just like telephone!
Making this recipe
Making this recipe is pretty straight forward and it comes together in under 30 minutes. It’s all done in one pot or skillet so there’s little clean up involved. After you sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes you’ll need to add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for a couple of minutes until they turn pink. Once cooked remove the prawns from the heat and set aside while you add the rice to the skillet and cook. After the rice is done add the shrimp back to the pan along with any additional herbs and lime juice and you’re all set. It’s a fast dish that doesn’t require any hard to find ingredients which makes it one of my favorites for nights when my brain in fried and I want something easy AND delicious!
So please…make this, tweak it, and pass it on!
Cilantro Lime Shrimp & Rice
An easy one pot dish for Cilantro Lime Shrimp and Rice that's ready in 30 minutes or less.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1-2 Serrano pepper deseeded, depending on how much you enjoy spice
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, about a small handful, chopped + more for garnishing
- 1 1/2 pound shrimp peeled and deveined, 680 grams
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, about 2 limes
- 2 cups long grain rice, 370 grams
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, 960 ml
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or pot over a medium heat. Add the onion, pepper and garlic cook for about 3-4 minutes until the onions start to soften. Make sure to stir so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the shrimp and chopped cilantro to the skillet and sauté until the shrimp is pink and no longer translucent - about 2 minutes on each side. Add one tablespoon of lime juice to the skillet as the shrimp cooks. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside in a bowl as you cook the rice.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the rice. Cook over a low heat for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly to coat the rice in the sautéed mixture.
- Add the broth and remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is done. Add more liquid as needed.
- Before serving, add the shrimp back to the skillet, mix into the rice and add any additional cilantro or lime juice you may want.
If you don't have any low sodium chicken broth you can can use 2 cups water and 2 cup broth to avoid this being too salty.
Serving Size:serving Calories: 473Saturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 342mgSodium: 1119mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 37g
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to use the hashtag #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this cilantro lime shrimp & rice – I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page if you feel like sharing!
Leave a Review!