Blended strawberries and freshly squeezed lemons naturally sweetened into a healthy lemonade with a chia seed surprise making for a fun and unique lemonade to beat the heat!
Have you ever had a chia drink?
My first introduction to chia seed based drinks was last autumn when Mike & I were staying with my family in Arizona. We found the Mama Chia drinks at pretty much every store and became quickly obsessed. After trying every available flavour we started trying to make our own at home.
It honestly has the weirdest texture and I love it.
This lemonade is simple, refreshing – with an emphasis on the ‘fresh’ – and perfect for all impending lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer.
What You Need
- Fresh Strawberries
- Maple Syrup
- Chia Seeds
- A Blender
- Make the chia seed gel base.
- Mix together 2 cups water with 3 tablespoons chia seeds. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to let the chia seeds gel up. They seeds will soak up the water which will cause them to swell and suspend in the water on their own.
- Juice & Blend.
- Once you’ve got your chia base done and ready to go it’s really just a matter of juicing your lemons and blending your strawberries.
- Add the gelled chia seeds to the blended strawberry and lemons then taste and sweeten more as you see fit.
Spruce It Up
If you’re not opposed to it you may even want to throw in a splash of rum or vodka in the mix for an extra good time. I made myself a margarita last night with the leftovers and it was GOOD.
- 6 cups water, divided
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups strawberries, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (can use honey if you don't need this to be low fodmap or vegan)
- In a large jug or bowl: combine 2 cups of water with the chia seeds. Stir, and then set aside in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. The chia seeds need to gel up before adding to the rest of the drink.
- Add strawberries and remaining 4 cups water to blender. Blend until the strawberries are completely pureed.
- Add the lemon juice and the maple and blend once more briefly to mix everything together.
- Pour the blended strawberry lemonade and the gelled chia seeds to a large pitcher. Use a long spoon to mix together. Taste and add more sweetener if needed.
- The chia seeds may settle over time so make sure you give the lemonade a quick stir before serving if that happens.