Super simple healthy Strawberry Lemonade with chia seeds – only 5 ingredients needed | Paleo + Vegan + Low FODMAP
Have you ever tried chia drinks?
My first introduction to chia seed based drinks was last autumn when Mike & I were staying with my family in Arizona. We found the Mama Chia drinks at pretty much every store and became quickly obsessed. After trying every available flavour we started trying to make our own at home.
It honestly has the weirdest texture and I love it.
This lemonade is simple, refreshing – with an emphasis on the ‘fresh’ – and perfect for all impending lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer.
To make it? Fairly straightforward. Just gather up your juiciest strawberries, lemons, maple syrup, water, and chia seeds and a blender.
You will need to start out by making a simple chia seed base. Mix together 2 cups of water with 3 tablespoons chia seeds and let sit for at least 30 minutes to let the chia seeds gel up. They’ll begin to suspend in the water on their own which is not only fun to look at but way fun to drink.
Once you’ve got your chia base done and ready to go it’s really just a matter of juicing your lemons and blending your strawberries. I recommend tasting and adding more sweetener as needed. Depending on the sweetness of the fruit and your personal preference you may want to adjust the amounts.
And hey! If you’re not opposed to it you may even want to throw in a splash of rum or vodka in the mix for an extra good time. I made myself a margarita last night with the leftovers and it was GOOD.
I feel like that really sums me up as a person: chia seeds + tequila. At the same time. No shame!
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try this Healthy Strawberry Lemonade! We love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- 6 cups water (divided)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups strawberries, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (can use honey if you don't need this to be low fodmap or vegan)
- Start your base by mixing 2 cups of water with the chia seeds. Stir, and then set aside in the ridge for at least 30 minutes. The chia seeds need to gel up before adding to the rest of the drink.
- Add the strawberries and 4 cups of the non chia seed water to blender and blend until the strawberries are completely pureed. Add the lemon juice and the maple and blend once more briefly to mix everything together.
- Add the chia water to the lemonade and stir to combine. Taste and add more sweetener if needed.
- Transfer the lemonade to a pitcher and serve. The chia seeds may settle over time so make sure you give the lemonade a quick stir before serving if that happens.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 79Sodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g